View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #896
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think my concern is

1) Although 3D printing of guns/bullets is not a problem now
2) I can forsee where it will become a problem in the future (e.g. as technology gets better, as it becomes more mainstream etc.)
3) When this happens, there will be bad and good guys that could create guns that are not traceable, used for crime etc.
4) Therefore, start thinking about how to restrict access/creation of guns with 3D printers

If your question is how to do this ... I don't know but would assume better minds can come up with a good start.

Possibly, the lazy answer may be is let the more gun-control countries (e.g. EU countries) take the lead as I wouldn't be surprised if they have to deal with that issue earlier than us since we have so many readily available conventional weapons already.

Well that's sort of the basis for the discussion. The State Department, as of tomorrow, will allow the publishing of blueprints online for the purpose of distribution and personal manufacture of completely untrackable, untraceable guns. You can't come up with a discussion about it after the fact. Once this cat is approved, and out of the bag, it's going to be exponentially harder to deal with. The threats from it will multiply within a decade and we'll look back and go "well there's nothing we can do now"

As for the first 3d gun. From what I can tell, the entire gun is 3d printed, no metal. It looks to use printed springs to throw the slug out. While it's not a conventional weapon, the fact that it is lethal at all, makes it a threat for all sorts of situations, like my job.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote