View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #118
molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING (TV Taping)
Tuesday, Week 1, July 1983
Dallas, TX: 5,000 SOLD OUT

-I run the show in Texas because I'm running a couple of big angles, and I want the friendly Texas crowd behind them. I've also figured out that it makes sense to run your tv show in your most popular region, since the lesser region's popularity in your broadcast area is effected by the show anyway.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
The Sheepherders defeat Barry Orton & Johnny Mantel in 4:03 when Miller pinned Mantel. (C) Miller looked particularly good. After the match, Akbar again hypes since team as the most brutal in the world. (C).

-Pre-Show Dark match
Ken Mantel drew with Checkmate in 10:00 when the time limit expired (C-).

-Manny Fernandez & Brian Adias defeated The Villanos in 6:58 when Manny pinned Villano V. (C-). Manny looked good, Adias was visibly tired towards the end of the match. Manny celebrated his victory with Adias (C). During the match, the announcers put over the fact that Adias has taken on Manny as a mentor. After the match, Manny grabbed a mic and put over Adias, saying he's impressed him the last few weeks, and he thinks he's ready to take the next step in his WCCW career - he just needs the right guidance. (C).

-Whipper Billy Watson comes to the ring and apologies to the fans for the mix- up involving in the 6-man tag titles at June Star Wars. He says that the Freebirds were correct in that he didn't have the authority to force them to defend the titles with Hayes absent. However, he DOES have the authority to strip the Freebirds of the titles due to Hayes' no-showing the title defense. For the 2nd time in 2 months, the six-man titles are vacant (C+). The Freebirds storm to the ring, obviously pissed off, arguing with Watson. Hayes calls him an idiot. (C+) Watson says they'll have a chance to get the titles back, as the Freebirds will be a part of a 4-team tournament to determine the new champions. The first match of that tournament will be tonight: The Freebirds v. Chris Adams, Iceman Parsons, & Mike Von Erich. (C)

-The Freebirds depart, but before Watson can leave, Garvin enters the ring with a complaint of his own. He argues with Watson about naming Scott Casey the #1 contender to Garvin's title. Garvin says he's already defeated Casey at June Star Wars, and Casey hasn't accomplished anything since he's been back in WCCW. Watson says Casey earned the match by defeating Garvin last night, and the title match will happen tonight. (C+)

-WCCW Television Championship Match
Jim Garvin and Scott Casey wrestled to a 10:00 time limit draw. Garvin makes his 2nd defense of the TV title. (C-) Before the match, Mercer interviewed Casey, who said it would be an honor to wear WCCW gold. (C+) Also before the match, Garvin loudly taunted Casey as a joke who hasn't accomplished anything (B-).

-WCCW 6-man Title Tournament Match
The Freebirds defeated Iceman Parsons, Chris Adams & Mike Von Erich in 7:31 when Gordy pinned Mike after Roberts struck him with a chair, behind the referees back, to advance to the finals of the 6-man title tournament (C+).

-Hardcore Rules Match
Fritz Von Erich defeated Waldo Von Erich in 5:24 by pinfall. (D+) Frtiz and Waldo showed good chemistry. After the match, Akbar immediately ordered his stable - The Sheepherders and Waldo Von Erich, to attack Fritz (C). After Fritz was layed out, he was stretchered out of the arena, while Destruction Inc. taunted him. Before Fritz can be stretched all the way out of the arena, he's attacked by a debuting Adrian Adonis, pummeling him off of the stretcher and on to the arena floor (C+).

Overal Show Rating: C-

THOUGHTS

-We got a lot accomplished in this show storyline-wise, but without the star power of the Von Erichs, the rating wasn't there. Popularity in Texas takes a pretty steep drop from 69.9% to to 69.4%. Midwest popularity increases from 47.3% to 47.7%.

-Adias gets his first big shot in an angle, as Manny Fernandez' protege. Pro wrestling's history of mentor/protege relationships is a little iffy, so Manny should watch his back. I'd be happy with C-segments in this angle. Manny will still get the chance to shine every now and then with a higher profile 1 on 1 match as well.

-The D+ main event really killed us - I guess I forgot for a moment that this wasn't 1998 WWF - I can't run the novelty match last. Lesson learned. It's a good sign that the best-rated segment of the angle was Adonis' debut. This angle's just about over, and the rest of our stars are tied up, so Adonis and the Sheepherders will be simply building up their momentum by beating up guys left and right before something frees up.

-The 6-man tournament may have a predictable finals match up, but I wanted to work some other teams in the mix. For the sake of kayfabe, it can't simply be Von Erichs v. Freebirds without them proving themselves against other teams.

Last edited by molson : 05-14-2007 at 09:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote