sabotai
General Manager

King Kong (1933)

Directed By: Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack
Written By: James Creelman, Ruth Rose
Starring: Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot
Length: 100 min.
Genre: Monster Movie

A filmmaker is looking for a young actress for his upcoming movie, but he has a reputation for going to far off places to film and this time, he won't even tell anyone where he's going. No one will agree to the gig. He ends up finding a down on her luck woman and offers her the role. On the way to the unknown location, the ship's first mate falls in love with her. We're not really shown any of that.

The movie up until they get to the island was excruciatingly boring, poorly written, poorly acted.

Then they get to the island, the natives kidnap the 'golden woman' and give her to King Kong. The movie finally begins. The filmmaker and the ship's crew run into the jungle after Kong to rescue her. Lots of fight scene with Kong vs. other massive monsters ensue. When the crew catches up to Kong, they don't stand a chance. He playfully shakes them of a fallen tree and down into a crevasse to their deaths. Only the filmmaker and first mate survive.

The filmmaker runs back to the ship to get more men and supplies. The first mate continues to follow Kong, waiting for his chance. A few more monster fights later, he manages to save her and they run back to the village. Kong chases and, eventually, the crew manages to knock out Kong with a gas bomb.

They take Kong back to New York, put him on display and he escapes. He finds his golden woman, takes her up a skyscraper where he's shot down.

I've seen several of the remakes and psuedo-remakes over the years, but not the original. I though the entire 2005 version was brutally boring, so I went in thinking I wasn't going to like this one. I did, though. It was, once they got to the island, an enjoyable monster movie. The dialog was cheesy and the acting wooden, but nice visual effects on the fight scenes and Kong's rampage.

My Rating: 7/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.9/10 (71k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 98% Critics (55-1), 86% of Audience (3.7 / 5 ; 89k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote