General Manager

Man's Castle (1933)

Directed By: Frank Borzage
Written By: Jo Swerling
Starring: Spencer Tracy, Loretta Young
Length: 75 min.
Genre: Drama / Romance
Based On: The play "Man's Castle" by Lawrence Hazard

Dinner at Eight was a look at how the rich were handling the Great Depression, Man's Castle is a look at the poor.

Bill (Spencer Tracy) and Trina (Loretta Young) meet on a bench in a park. He's well dressed and she hasn't eaten for days. He takes her to a restaurant but at the end of their meal, he tells the manager he will not pay for he has no money. After getting kicked out, Bill informs Trina that the reason he looks so well dressed is because his suit is an advertisement. The words "Gilsey House Coffee" lights up on his shirt.

Bill lets Trina live with him in a shanty town where he's been staying. He doesn't like to be tied down to a place, but Trina falls in love with him and that drives the main romantic conflict. Once things get real, Bill has a desire to take off. And things keep getting more real until eventually Trina gets pregnant.

That's it for Bill. He decides to take off, but only after he leaves a good amount of money behind for Trina. He takes his neighbor Bragg up on his plan to rob the safe at a toy factory where Bragg works. The plan goes wrong, Bill ends up not only shot, but double crossed by Bragg who sets off the alarm. Bragg, you see, wants Trina for himself.

Bill escapes and Bragg is shot dead by Flossie, a friend of Bill and Trina's, to keep him from going to the police. Bill and Trina leave the city together.

I liked the movie a lot. There was one major issue I had with it, though. Bill is a thoroughly unlikable character. He basically treats Trina like shit, but she still falls for him. In at least 90% of their interactions, if he's not putting her down, he's threatening to smack her around. But hey, at least he didn't rape her.

But larry was right, overall this movie was far and away better than that trainwreck garbage of a movie A Farewell To Arms. This actually had character arcs, subplots, good acting and consistent and well timed pacing. I just could not stand the main character.

I'm also wondering if I just hate Spencer Tracy. Just the way he talked in the movie was annoying, and I hated him in 20,000 Years in Sing-Sing as well.

My Rating: 7/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.4/10 (1k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A Critics (4-0), 76% of Audience (3.9 / 5 ; 245 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote