View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 07:44 AM   #118
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They should have traded him last year when I think he had a lot of value. But they wouldn’t because he’s a Yinzer and “one of us.” There’s another guy from Mars high school that goes to WVU and is projected to be a top 10 draft pick. I’m really hoping we can dodge that guy in the draft. I’m sure you might be familiar. Wetherholt is his last name but I’m sure I’m butchering the spelling.

They really need to get Holderman and Mlodzski(sp) back. I don’t trust this starting pitching, and I don’t trust at least half of the relievers.

Might be nice if Contreras can put some solid innings together out of the pen. I was really high on him but he was absolutely terrible in 2023 and out of options.

I think some of these pitchers that are bigger guys are legitimately struggling with the pitch clock. Bednar seems like a good guy, but he flirts with disaster a lot more than I would like from my closer - even when he's on. I'd love to see what he could do with an offseason of really good conditioning, but I don't know that we'll ever have that opportunity.

We have WVU season baseball tickets. Wetherholt is the probably the best college player I have ever seen in person (Josh Jung may be the best and Alex Manoah was a beast when he was on). Granted, I've only been going to college games for like the last 8-10 years. I'd be happy with Wetherholt on the Pirates but he's projected to go fairly high. He's been injured most of this season and I think his size/durability and that he mostly plays 2B are his downsides. I haven't seen his scouting grades, but I would have to think his hit tool and speed are near elite and he has good power. He is supposed to play more SS this season (WVU had a really good senior SS last year that is currently in the Rockies system), so if he looks competent there, that would help. The guys just hits the ball hard and can fly.

It sounds like Holderman will be back tomorrow. Chapman has been pretty awesome. He's lost a little zip, but he's still hitting 98/99 multiple times per outing. Kind of crazy that someone else didn't pick him up. I assume Skenes will be up as soon as the service deadline hits - he's pitched 6 innings and given up one hit and one walk and struck out 11, so far. He's hit 101 multiple times per statcast. He's ready, but I get the franchise not wanting to trade 6-8 starts for a full year of service down the road, but it is frustrating.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote