View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #321
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Sat. December 10, 2022

Barclays Premier League
Birmingham (2-1-13, 7 points, 19th) vs. Dover (12-1-3, 37 points, 2nd)
St. Andrews, Birmingham, UK

Betting Odds: Birmingham: 9-2 Draw: 13-5 Dover: 1-2 (Favourites)
Past Meetings: 2W 0D 1L

Birmingham only finished fifth in the Championship last year but prevailed in the playoffs to get the shocking promotion to England's top league for the first time since the 2014-15 season. They were very modest spenders during the transfer window, only splashing £2.6 million on six players, with £825K spent on Everton striker Marcus Leigh, a 22 year old who hasn't suited up yet for the senior team. Welsh striker Sam Vokes has six goals in 15 matches and is their most dangerous player. He usually lines up alongside Joe Mason, who has four goals.

Full starting lineup today and Gianluca Bolis returns after a two game benching that saw his replacement, Graham Allan, contribute FIVE ASSISTS in those two games. Bolis better be sharp today! Daniel Traore will play again today in place of suspended Rayane Hamon. We are huge favourites on the road and we will push hard to score goals today.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - I. Wilke
D - R. Gaucho, D. Traore, C. Contreras, S. Loucif
M - A. Bamba, N. Cairney, A. Rocca, G. Bolis
S - S. Andrea, Chiquinho
Bench - M. Yilmaz, K. Zagos, S. Spall, G. Fanfoni, G. Allan, S. Henni, P. Moses

Standard 4-4-2 for Birmingham today with Vokes and Mason up front and Edwin Leferink in goal. They also have former Dover midfielder Arron Williams, once a decent prospect for us. I tell the team they can win today…lets bury these guys.

3' - Wow, a very quick start sees us win a throw in down the left side. Renato Gaucho throws to Shanon Andrea and he turns and sends a high cross into the box. Chiquinho is there and heads it forcefully past Leferink and it's IN! Chiquinho scores on a rare header and we have the dream start at St. Andrews! DOVER GOAL 1-0

9' - Rocca with a free kick just left of the penalty area and he sends a pass to Neil Cairney lurking outside in the middle of the field. He sends a bullet to goal and Leferink makes the great diving stop!

31' - Birmingham with a free kick and they curl one in that Wilke has trouble with but we thankfully clear the rebound to safety.

33' - All of a sudden Birmingham are taking the play to us and it's Vokes taking a wonderful pass and he's in alone. Wilke makes a spectacular save and we're fortunate to stay ahead for now.

37' - We have possession in their end and Andrea Rocca sends a great ball through the defence to Shanon Andrea. He's in the area and taken down from behind. PENALTY! Neil Cairney has been money so far this year and he step up to take the kick. As usual, he goes right and the goalkeeper doesn't even move and it's IN! That's Cairney's SIXTH penalty conversion in as many attempts this year and we're up two! DOVER GOAL 2-0

40' - Chiquinho wins a tackle at midfield and just streaks down the middle of the field. He has a step on the defenders as he approaches the area and shoots past Leferink and IN! Chiquinho has two and we are up three! Sensational goal by Chiquinho! DOVER GOAL 3-0

44' - Bolis with a cross and for some reason, Renato Gaucho is pinching in from his fullback position and heads it off the crossbar! Wow!

HALFTIME - We continue to dominate lesser opposition! We hold 63% of possession on the road and outshoot them 13-4 (4-3 on target). I tell the lads I'm pleased and tell Gianluca Bolis I have faith in him despite his recent struggles.

72' - Not much happening in this half but we continue to dominate possession. Andrea Rocca has the ball near midfield and sends a splendid pass through the defence and it's there for Shanon Andrea to latch onto. He has a clear breakaway and makes no mistake, putting the ball low past Leferink and in! DOVER GOAL 4-0

76' - We take out Andrea Rocca and Daniel Traore and bring in Gian Marco Fanfoni and Mohammed Lamine Yilmaz.

79' - In something that's becoming a little too common, we give up a late goal. Birmingham with a free kick down the left and the cross is a beauty to the head of Sam Vokes, as he outjumps 6' 6" Claudio Contreras and heads it past Wilke and in. BIRMINGHAM GOAL 4-1

Nothing else of note. Good road win.

Birmingham 1 - 4 Dover
Goals - Chiquinho 2 (8.8), Neil Cairney PEN (7.7), Shanon Andrea (9.2)
Assists - Shanon Andrea 2, Daniel Traore (8.2), Andrea Rocca (7.7)
Man of the Match - Shanon Andrea
Other Dover Notables - Salim Loucif (7.8), Renato Gaucho (7.7), Arsene Bamba (7.3)
Attendance - 13,670

We continue our roll, winning for the fifth time in a row in Premier League play and eight in a row across all competitions. The roll could continue, as we play FIVE GAMES IN A ROW at home after this contest! Shanon Andrea has continued to play at a ridiculously high level - he's up to 14 goals and 11 assists in 17 games overall this year! WOW! For the game, we held 58% of possession and a 22-8 (5-4 on target) shot advantage. Excellent!

-- In other Premier League action, Chelsea continue to roll as well, knocking off Aston Villa 3-1. Arsenal beat Huddersfield 1-0 away and Man City get back on the winning track against lowly Stoke 3-0. United also win 2-0 over Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday continue to surprise, knocking off Liverpool.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE - STANDINGS
(ALL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED 17 GAMES UNLESS NOTED)

1. Chelsea - 44 points
2. Dover - 40 points
3. Manchester United - 39 points
4. Manchester City - 36 points
----------------------------------------------------
5. Arsenal - 36 points
6. Sheffield Wednesday - 35 points
7. Sunderland - 26 points
----------------------------------------------------

Premier League Team of the Week

-- We get four players named to this week's team, with Salim Loucif, Renato Gaucho, Daniel Traore and Shanon Andrea all getting honoured.

Rocca Unhappy

-- Andrea Rocca's agent wants me to open contract talks but I turn down the request, necessitating a personal chat with Rocca. He understands my rationale, as he's already signed for another two and a half years and I'm not prepared to open talks this soon. To be honest, Rocca is starting to regress ever so slightly and there's a chance he'll be in tough to retain his starting position in the coming years. Still, he's a set piece demon and he works well with Neil Cairney so he'll be an important part of the team in the years ahead no matter what.

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round Draw

-- If you asked me to pick three teams that I'd prefer to face in the 1st Knockout Round, three-time defending Liga ZON Sagres champions Benfica would have been one of the choices. It's a pretty decent draw, despite them being undefeated in league play once again. Our first game will be in Portugal in mid-February.

-- In other matchups, Sevilla faces Manchester United, Liverpool play Dortmund, Sampdoria play Real Madrid, OM play Barcelona, Galatasaray face Manchester City, AZ face Atletico Madrid and finally, Olympique Lyonnais play FC Bayern.

Next Up

-- We start a five game home stand, facing 15th placed Wolves in Premier League action.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 04-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote