View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
bdubbs
n00b

Well if we're going to take the help file at face value

BPR - "Ability to break away for a huge gain after the catch"
GD - "Ability to gain a little more yardage on a route"

So the way I've interpreted that personally is that BPR has more to do with YAC, and GD is more of a measure of average depth of target.

Personally I have no idea which bar is bar is more likely to lead to "he makes a nice move to break free" for that nice juicy YAC

I have my suspicions that how good your QB is has an influence though

A quick look at my season that just ended certainly doesn't give me a data point I'd try and draw any conclusions from

My receivers stats looked something like this

Danny Clemons 54/54 84 RR, 50 GD, 26 BPR

101 catches on 130 targets (beastly 77.7% catch rate) 1128 yards 485 YAC

so 11.3 yds/catch 8.68 yards / target 4.8 yac / catch

Jumbo Fitzgerald (TE 67/67) 64 RR 69 GD 64 BPR

64 catches on 113 targets (56.6%) 991 yards, 361 yac

15.48 yds / catch 8.77 yards / target 5.64 yac / catch

Denzel Jenkins (66/66) 89 RR 55 GD 70 BPR (12 games played)

57 catches on 96 targets (59.4) 727 yds 230 YAC

yards/catch 12.75 yards/target 7.57 yac/catch 4.03

Kirk Watkins (55/55) 75 RR 74 GD 25 BPR

57 catches on 99 targets (57.6%) 861 yds 339 YAC

yards/catch 15.11 yards/target 8.7 yac/catch 5.94

So my lowest BPR receiver actually had the most yac / catch and is actually the player I spoke of above who I was trying to throw deeper routes to in order to take advantage of his height and lack of BPR

My lowest YAC receiver is my highest BPR receiver, but he's also my highest rated receiver overall.

But there's so many other things to take into account like the fact that Jenkins drew more double teams throughout the season than other WRs. He also played the X spot most of the season when he was healthy which isn't a featured role in my offensive GP.

The only thing I can say for sure in terms of how my personal experience has affected the types of players I look for in a draft, I want to see 2 of 3 bars that are high between GD, BPR, and RR and if I had to rank them in terms of importance it would be RR, BPR, and then GD. BPR is the safest bet being static, you never know if those other bars might take a tumble during reveals.

Avoid drops is something I completely ignore if it's likely over 25. The difference between say 40 AD and 60 AD means nothing to me when comparing 2 wide outs.

Adjust to ball is another skill I don't put a lot of stock in, partially because there's no concrete way of knowing how often it comes into play. My logic is that if you're going to have a strong offense your QB probably isn't throwing that many bad balls, and if you have a crappy QB in there your team probably isn't going to be saved because you have a couple WR's with a high A2B skill. However if there was some way of knowing it came into play when your QB is hurried on a throw I'd have to think twice about its value.

Courage is nice to see, but if the bars were high enough in the core 3 skills I mentioned above I'm fine with very low courage. You can severely limit the downside of low courage by not assigning that receiver any routes over the middle of the field as the primary target. That said he will likely get a target over the middle occasionally as a secondary or outlet receiver unless you're super anal.

Well I've commented on basically every other bar so I might as well mention 3rd down catching. The thing is I want to believe that it matters but I also feel like if you look through misc receiving stats in any given season you're going to find there is plenty of variation in the 3DR bar between the top 3rd down receivers for the year. I think its a good complementary bar though and it also loses a little value in my mind because you don't need every receiver to be a good 3rd down target.

Last edited by bdubbs : 06-30-2018 at 03:32 PM.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote