View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #5
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I finally received my roster, and whoo boy, this will be a challenge. My highest rated politician is Charles D Drake, who is currently serving as a senator from Missouri. Frederick Douglas is my second highest, but the 15th amendment hasn't been passed yet, so I can't do anything with him. Even if it passes, there is a big penalty towards black politicians during this era, so even though he's a powerhouse, it will be hard to find a position for him. George S Boutwell is a representative from Massachusetts, and he looks pretty good. John P Hale is currently unemployed, but was a congressman before the Civil War. Not a lot of promise after that.

Some other interesting characters in my faction are George Meade, union general at Gettysburg, Horace Greeley, an influential newspaper editor during the Civil War, Robert Gould Shaw, who was the guy the movie Glory is based on, and should be dead (obviously this is a mistake in the database), and P T Barnum! Yeah, if you know me, you know I'm going to try and see if I can make him a political star.

I control seven governors, 14 senators, eight representatives, and two Supreme Court justices. Keep in mind that during this time, the democrats were effectively removed from all positions of power, so they are at a huge disadvantage to start this playtest.

The first order of business is the draft. Being a far left republican, in this draft class, I'm able to draft a whopping TWO people without penalty. Anyone else I try to draft has only a 30% chance of success. If I fail the roll, I lose the pick. So there won't be much help for me in the draft. The star of the draft for the Republicans is John Coit Spooner, who was a very powerful senator from Wisconsin. Other interesting names in the republican draft are William McKinley, Oliver Wendall Holmes Jr., and Robert Todd Lincoln.

On the democrats side, it's a weak draft. I haven't heard of a single person in their draft.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote