View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #7
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
discrimination only occurs if you are not a white male under 40. Everything else is pretty much in the protected class.

Title VII even protects white males under the age of 40 (with the exception of affirmative action programs put in place by an employer to correct past discriminatory practices). Everyone might be in a protected class.

But here, there is no legal basis for a discrimination case as "contract worker" is not protected. Now, is it "discriminatory" in the general meaning of the word? Sure, but I'm discriminatory all the time and with good reason. I discriminate against rotten fruit when purchasing food at the grocery. I discriminate against smelly people when chosing a place to sit on the bus. I discriminate against assholes when chosing my friends. Discrimination itself isn't bad (illegal discrimination is in my opinion).

As for temps vs more permanent workers for the company, I can see a lot of good reasons why I might discriminate in favor of the more permanent employees. So, I'd say it is fine.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote