View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Is there any circumstances which might have made this discrimination? What if I was the more qualified candidate? One final question here, but why do some people have such a dim view of contract labor? Why would you favor a non-contract employee? Many of the contact employee's just wish to be hired on by the company, and many of them have been there for 8+ months or more

I do not think there is any circumstance that might have made this discrimination. Unfortunately, many times there are internal politics that get in the way of hiring. For example, I want to move employee X into a new position. For legal reasons, I need to post a new job opening, plus I need to make the requirements fit employee X, but not so much that it is obvious that I only have him in mind. So I will fudge the requirements a bit, and go through the hiring process, only to put employee X there like I wanted. It happens all the time in bigger corporations.

The reason I would favor a non-contract employee is a reward for good service. The reason many people leave companies is for a better position, more pay, etc. I do not want all my dollars that I have invested in a person to go to waste by having them leave for a new company. Also, bringing in an outside person into the company increases payroll, which could mean more permanent job cuts later. The larger the permanent work force let go, the worse it looks for a company.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote