View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #21
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
I do not think there is any circumstance that might have made this discrimination. Unfortunately, many times there are internal politics that get in the way of hiring. For example, I want to move employee X into a new position. For legal reasons, I need to post a new job opening, plus I need to make the requirements fit employee X, but not so much that it is obvious that I only have him in mind. So I will fudge the requirements a bit, and go through the hiring process, only to put employee X there like I wanted. It happens all the time in bigger corporations.

The reason I would favor a non-contract employee is a reward for good service. The reason many people leave companies is for a better position, more pay, etc. I do not want all my dollars that I have invested in a person to go to waste by having them leave for a new company. Also, bringing in an outside person into the company increases payroll, which could mean more permanent job cuts later. The larger the permanent work force let go, the worse it looks for a company.

This last paragraph doesnt make sense to me. They already pay the wages of the Contract Employee's. The only benefits I do not get is medical coverage and a 401K. Also, if they transfer this person to this position, then they would most likely have to hire someone to fill his position. Our company maintains a ratio of core to contract employees. And lastly, the Person that was hired wasnt a skilled person, he was a non-skilled person. Most of those people are lifers at my company, because there is no way they could get a job doing anything else for what they make now, so I dont really see your point in rewarding them even though it does make sense in some cases where you have someone with a degree that is not doing a job that requires it.

I do get what you saying as a whole message though. This company is pretty good about contract employees that have paid their dues so to speak, and I have seen several contract employees being hired. Politics does play a big role though. Usually departments want to hire the temps that work in their area first, but that doesnt bother me since I work in the best area in the plant.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote