View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #450
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
As a Packer fan, we've seen "questionable calls" impact two games and directly cost us one (Minnesota). I think it was a pretty weak penalty, but so were the two defensive holding calls against GB that gave the 49ers first downs earlier in the game. I think what happens is the one official is tasked with watching the CB/WR battle and doesn't really see the rest of the play. So, whether it made an impact or not, if that official sees something - he calls it. Along with holding on a fair catch, I'd throw in holding on the opposite side of the line in a big run. A vast majority of the time, that hold has nothing to do with the gain. It would be nice if there was a "relevance" aspect to the penalty - almost like if the ball is catchable for PI.

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a minute, it does feel like there is a massive increase in the number of penalties called that really affect the game and keep drives going late on when the game is close . I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying there's a directive out there that the NFL wants to increase dramatic late drives and hero QB narratives, but I'm not saying there's definitely not either.

With that being said, if any team deserves to not get griped at for a questionable late call it's the Packers, so meh. It all evens out eventually. I was expecting a flag to come out on Clay Matthews on that late sack, and I think everyone's head would have exploded.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote