View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #1226
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You and I will never change the other's views on guns. I think that's a given.
I do recognize that we are both some where centric of the extreme, yet still not a lot of middle ground.

I'm ok with tougher regulations on acquisition, to a point. Admittedly a point far right of your preferred point...but so far left of the NRA that Im labeled a traitor.

But I want to try and ask a different question.

One point that does open my eyes is the disparity between our gun violence and the rest of the civilized world. Its startling in numbers no doubt.

But one question that I have, that Ive never heard anyone even discuss, is 'What changed?'
I mean 2A isnt new. Access to guns isnt new. If anything their fanaticism has increased their entry cost. Yet I'm early 40s. In my childhood shooting at a school was unheard of. Now its not.
Why?
The guns were here then, but we weren't having mass shootings and school shootings.

Why now?

Again Im not saying gun access doesnt play a role, I concede that point, but it isnt the sole cause either. So any thoughts on the why the change?

Our society worships violence in a way we didn't before. You see it in the endless wars, the hero worship of cops, MMA, video games, movies, even pictures of a muscle bound Jesus. More and more we measure people by their ability to inflict violence on others.