View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #286
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Had something of a hilarious problem with understanding our linguistically advanced 2.5-year-old recently. About a week ago, I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and she suddenly blurts out something that sounds amazingly like "visit bitches.com". I'm having her repeat what she's saying to me and then to my wife and then back to me where I can study her lips and, sure enough, it looks like she's leading off the word with a "b" sound. We're trying to think of a) where she might have heard that and b) maybe it's an accidental rhyme with what she meant to say, so we try ditches, witches and other similar words to see if she really meant to say something else. We don't repremand her because neither one of us can think of an incident where such a word was used around her recently, so we just think it's an error in pronounciation.

Nothing more comes of it until a couple of nights ago when, once again, she suddenly parrots the "visit bitches.com" line again. This time, it's pretty obvious it's what she's saying. Of course, I'm laughing my head off, mostly in astonishment, but once again we're still trying to figure out the source of this statement. I haven't been watching TV where she might've heard something like that and my wife usually watches HGTV, TLC, or Food Network during the day, so the TV seems to be out. What else could it be?

Well, it got solved and it was the TV's fault in the end, but not in the way we thought. Turns out because dear daughter watches a fair amount of PBS Sprout and Sprout On Demand that somewhere during all that TV time, somebody or something mentioned not "bitches.com" but "beaches.com". What a relief!

Admittedly, she may watch too much of those PBS programs because she can recite pretty much verbatim all the repeatable parts that usually advertise PBS Sprout. I'm in so much trouble.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote