View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #310
hoopsguy
General Manager

Redshirts (and cuts) - this will be a tough one, as the initial look at the depth charts suggests that CB and WR will have some unhappy campers if left to their own devices. There are also some talented freshmen who will have the chance to be four year starters if they sit out this year.

QB - both of our incoming freshman have grade issues (1.9 - 2.0 range) and neither figures to be in the mix yet. Both get the RS, we'll see if they accept it.

HB - Morris is our likely starter (ahead of last years starter, Dawson) so nothing here.

FB - Nothing

WR - Martin is listed as a starter. After that we have 3 freshmen who all rate out at 11 at the moment with 16-18 potential in the future. Kai Olsen already took his redshirt last year. Derrick Palmer gets the redshirt now - which leaves us with 4 talented wideouts.

TE - nothing

OT - 3 seniors are blocking playing time for J.W. Hunter - he gets a redshirt and we hope he doesn't take it the wrong way.

OG - We will go ahead and redshirt Ernie Fiss, who would be the 4th option this year. He'll have more opportunities next year and after that as long as he develops a little bit. And we would be willing to remove this one if grades + injuries force our hand (possible).

C - Nothing - need a good one in recruiting next year.

DE - Not enough bodies to get clever, or any young talent.

DT - Our depth here is atrocious. But no redshirts or cuts.

ILB - Academic worry Lee Brown came in with a 2.84. I would think about a redshirt in 4-3, but since we are 4-4 I'll keep all five guys active with two vets having low GPAs.

OLB - We redshirt freshman Eric Lindsay. I don't ever expect him to start, but with 3 seniors this year he wouldn't see the field much.

CB - 9 guys here, some have to go. SR Ken Byrd is whacked - one of last guys on roster that I did not hire. Freshman Patrick Harrison came in with a very low GPA (1.67) so he has the year off to work on his grades.

S - Freshman Barron Starr is going to have to play some SS this year, as he is much better than the 2nd guy on our roster.

K/P - no moves to make here.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote