View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #7019
Groundhog
Coordinator

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 6/10

Still on vacation with the little one in day care, we snuck out to the theatre for the first time since the last Star Wars movie to watch this. Not sure why we picked it over Avengers: End Game (well I am actually, my wife loves Sophie Turner), and it took me half the film to remember that I'd actually not seen the last X-Men movie with Apocalypse - I'd thought it odd how suddenly we're introduced to Jean Grey, Nightcrawler and Cyclops without any backstory/origins. I can see this is getting panned by critics but I actually didn't hate it. I like how they (sorta) stuck to the sci-fi component of the Dark Phoenix storyline from the comics. Turner was great as Jean, and Fassbender as usual rocked it as Magneto. It's kind of a shame that the main Marvel films didn't get their hands on this property because most of the casting choices have been pretty good - Cyclops aside (the new one - I thought Marsden was perfect). Sounds like this is the last one of this era, and I think it's probably time to move on and see what Marvel films does with this license now that it (presumably) passes back to them.