View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #202
Huckleberry
College Starter

First things first. My disclaimer - coincidentally being on the same "side" of a debate as Bubba Wheels should in no way be interpreted as support for him, his reasoning - if such a beast exists, or his philosophies. Now that that's out of the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
See this is the ting, it was desgned that way over 200 years ago, it IS broken in modern society. This current system was antiquated as soon as telephones reached 99.99 percent of homes back in the 30's and 40's. The designers had to deal with the fact that 200+ years ago the young states and new territories had little or no population and would have been steamrolled buy the original colonies in any election.

That isn't the case today. As it is the electoral college doesn't give every state any real say in things as has been shown before, its design and implementation make all but a dozen of the large states all but irrelevent.

Create a direct election and suddenly everyone, everywhere matters, its no longer a win these states and yer in election. its about individual votes. I don't care what effect this would have had on past elections, seriously, I'd still be pissed with W in office, I doubt I'd be any happier with a democrat, they're all bought and paid for losers. What I WANT to see is individual rights and votes of every american citizen to MATTER.

We might be one in 300 million, but thats better than being a 0 in the current system. Thats what about 40% of voters are right now, 0 meaning in elections.

Nowhere in here did you offer any reason why equality of states should be removed from the equation. Every citizen's vote does matter. It matters as a citizen of your state. That is as it was intended and it's a good system. I don't believe it's perfect, but I also reject the notion that this country is supposed to be organized as a single entity with sub-departments. That is what each state can create for their own government. The nation is not that way. There are 50 equal states making up the USA. Not the USA and then lesser entities known as states.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote