View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #204
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
So, your premise for keeping a broken system like the electoral college is "because we started out with it"?

Preposterous. Its antiquated and unnecessary in todays era of mass communications and access to information. Your so called "modified electoral college" is no more useful than the old one, it doesn't change the election , it does get closer to a true vote for each american, but its still not complete.

There is NO valid reason to not have direct elections of all officials. Save perhaps a genuine fear of what the american populace might choose. From both sides. Turning a possible 300 million votes into 600 or so is idiocy and fraudulates the actual voting numbers.

Is fraudulates a real word? it sounded good....ahh well. Invalidates sounds too harsh for what I'm trying to say.

That whole NO valid reason thing, I don't buy for a second. I'm happy that I live in a Republic, and not a direct Democracy. Direct Democracy is too much to me like government by whim of the masses. The masses are wrong from time to time. I prefer the status quo. In my mind it was devised by men far wiser than the average citizen today. They had their reasons, and some may certainly seem outdated today, but I believe that some of their motives are still relevant today. The simple insulation from a direct democracy is enough for me.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote