View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #290
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
The hypocrisy in all of this is astounding.

I'm not in favor of the Super League, but my word the stuff coming from the opposition...

UEFA refused to implement FFP and seriously punish Man City and PSG when they were caught cheating.

FIFA has the blood of hundreds of workers who died building World Cup venues for games to be played in a scorching desert, after a payoff from the host country. And they've been perhaps the most corrupt sporting organization in the world for decades.

Clubs like Everton and Leeds protesting the 6 Premier League villains, when we all know if they had gotten an invite for the Super League and its likely megariches, they'd join in a heartbeat.

The Premier League and Sky protesting, when the Premier League itself was a breakaway from the English football pyramid in order to make more money. You never hear any mention of football titles, scoring records etc before 1992 on their broadcasts. It's as if football didn't exist before the Premier League.

If these entities want to be angry because there is a big money grab happening that doesn't include them, fine. But their anger is really because they can't take advantage of this opportunity for themselves.

Just catching up on everything. I don't think any opposition to the Super League is automatically a defense of the status quo. UEFA and FIFA get criticized regularly and will probably resume getting criticized once this is done and over with. It is highly unlikely but it might have benefited the Super League folks to bring in a Nottingham Forrest or an Ajax to beef up their historical credentials. The Premier League did not stop Sheffield Wednesday or Norwich City from joining the league nor have they made Arsenal a permanent member even if they have been in the top flight since the 1910s. There is a lot wrong with the game worldwide that deserves to get criticism. The founding members of the Super League are getting their rightful share now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote