Grizzled Veteran

Futures Comparison

** Anil Mehul - 32, 19y 22w to 44y 18w
** Girish Girsh - 3, 19y 12w to 19y 36w
** Prakash Mooljee - 8, 18y 51w to 19y 37w
** Ritwik Dudwadkar - 8, 19y 16w to 20y 10w
** Sushant Chiba - 6, 19y 8w to 19y 39w
** Amrik Kasaravalli - 12, 18y 51w to 20y 40w

Futures are for players ranked 201st through 1000th. You can play them when you are lower than that, but you'll get more matches by going into the Amateurs so I think overall it's not typically a good idea. Usually the dime-a-dozen journeyman vets that you can pick up whenever you like will be stuck at this level. My first player and soon-to-retire trainer Anil Manohar was one of those. Anyone even half-good though won't stay here, and a quick progression through is expected for those of world-class talent.

Mehul is obviously an exception, as a lot of his futures events took place during his trainer training stage well after his prime. So his total and last title you can pretty much throw out. Girsh I didn't schedule the way I do now - I think I moved him up to Challengers before he was really ready. Typically my players have escaped futures well before turning 20, though Dudwadkar took a little longer. This is where Kasaravalli's inferiority really starts to show up as well - he required pretty much a full two years in this stage and was 6-12 months behind the other Sri Lanka Legends(tm) by the time it was over. A situation that hasn't improved since.

Nasir Chittoor spent a little more time in the amateurs than the others, and won only two events there. Still, he enters the futures with a headwind of several months over the contingent above - 16 to 42 weeks depending on who the comparison is. I'm interested to see if that gap narrows more at this point, or if he can make his way smoothly through. Satyagit Guha just had his first decent run, and now he'll once again be in over his head in singles - though I expect continued successes for the pairing in doubles.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-22-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote