View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #247
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Meanwhile, Drew's been falling into a troublesome habit of saying "I'm sorry" over and over again if he gets disciplined and/or doesn't get what he thinks he has coming. Yesterday, he got into a little trouble at daycare for not listening, and as a result didn't get a lollypop. Oh, lord. Meltdown city. It just so happened that both my wife and I picked him up (we were going to go have a picnic dinner at a park - NOT!), and he made this big scene crying and saying, "I'm sorry, mom" repeatedly. I'm sure it sounds pathetic reading it, but I think it's really more of a behavioral Get Out of Jail Free maneuver. I dunno.

funny you mention that, since we had a tiny episode of the "I'm sorry" thing yesterday, but before, I'll say I also think it's the kid's get ouf of jail free maneuver, as they see that it works and is well seen to say they're sorry.

The episode was with Andrew, our 9yo son yesterday after dinner. As he was bringing his plate to the counter, just having finished eating, he let out a big belch, you know a good big burp and immediately went with the usual "I'm sorry" but not as if he felt it, not like "oops, sorry, didn't feel it coming" more like, "I did a big one, but I'll say I'm sorry and I'll be off the hook". No need to say that to me, this is absolutely unacceptable and I told him so, using the coined phrase "just because you say you're sorry doesn't mean it was okay to do it"...

FM