View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #53
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 November 2018

What's that sound I hear? Is it coming from Alfredian Park?

We are top of the league...we are top of the league!

Wantage Town supporters know that chant well, but it's been a while since they've had a chance to sing it. It sounds especially good these days.

It took a bit of luck to nick three points at Wrexham. Their goalkeeper, Robbie Harris, got a shot by Tom Wilkinson tangled between his feet and pushed it over the line. It was one of only two shots we put on goal all day long. Still, when you are winning, luck like this tends to fall your way, and we'll take it.

Kidderminster Harriers seemed like a bit of a bogey side last year, but John Nash came off the bench to hit a brace in our 3-1 victory. However, we got bad news, too: midfield creator Ryan Bellamy twisted his ankle painfully, and might miss up to two months. I decided to shift Aiden Harris into the middle of the park and give Sam Wash a try at right wing.

That decision was partly due to the fact that four of our players were picked for their national teams in the First Qualifying Round of the European Under 19 Championship. John Lawless and Pakie Kerley got their first Ireland youth caps, while Nathan Nicholl was similarly honored by Northern Ireland. Kevin Lewis was once again selected for Wales. Even better: John, Kevin, and Nathan scored, and all their teams advanced to the next round.

A goal-less draw against the 20th placed team in the league is usually not a desirable outcome, but the point we got from the Alfreton match put us level with Dover Athletic on 30 points. We took the top spot in the table on goal differential, by a single goal.

We welcomed Mick Hart back to the team for our FA Cup tie, at home to St Albans. It took Mick exactly twelve seconds to tuck away a Wilkinson cross, and then the two young stars reversed roles for a second goal 12 minutes later. In both cases, their pace was on full display.

Our last match of the month was a classic promotion fixture, as we welcomed Dover Athletic to Alfredian Park.

When we reached the Conference Premier, I changed my tactical philosophy. In the lower leagues, we had a lot of success with a high press and a direct approach in possession. At this level, I've gone with a defensive mentality and a more patient build-up. So far, that approach has worked a treat. Only one team in the league has conceded fewer goals than we have.

Against the Whites, our players gave a master class in the execution of our strategy. Dover managed only two shots all game, and neither of those were on target. Tomasz Wisniewski showed us once again that he is an absolute boss: 11/11 headers won, 16 interceptions, breaking up Dover's attacking threats before they truly became, well, threatening.

Our streak of games without a loss has reached 12 now, 10 in league play. It's our third-longest such streak, but it's still some way short of the run of 21 matches without a loss we reeled off between May and October, 2015. The fact that we've done it with either Hart or Bellamy missing from the team makes it very impressive.

The board considers my job Untouchable, with a 79% approval rating. I've never seen it that high. They also rewarded me with a contract extension that will keep me at Alfredian Park until June 2020.

Life is good.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 12-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote