View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

See, I don't know how to deal with guys like this. I've done a great job of scouting guys with potentials in the 50s-70s through all 7 rounds. In fact, here are the post-camp rookies from the draft I conducted last night:

1(1) RB - 69/80
3(18) CB - 30/50
3(25) LB - 28/57
4(9) FB - 25/57
4(28) T - 23/53
5(28) TE - 32/54
6(28) QB - 12/61

Undrafted:
SS - 18/53
CB - 21/47

Now, I know from experience that the RB is going to be a stud and the FB, TE, and LB have the best chances to develop fully from this group. I also know that several of these guys, even if they play regularly, will have their potentials dip into the 40s and finally settle in about their 3rd year anywhere from 35/35 to 45/45. But I'm finding it awfully difficult to paass up the potential for someone who is 17/29 post-camp. In fact, I''ve actually refused to sign guys I've drafted who have 30s potential on the theory that I don't want to waste the bonus money for 3-4 years. I'd love to have a guy boom like SD's guy, I just don't know if I can force myself to wait out that kind of draft pick on the off-chance he develops.

It's interesting how different the drafting philosophies can be in this game, though. The other thing I'm trying to deal with is picking decent QB prospects like the guy above and having them wither away behind my 87/91 franchise QB. I've gone through 4 or 5 potential decent QBs and I'm not sure if they were going to shrivel up anyway, or if I failed to develop them. If the 12/61 guy keeps his potentials around 60 by next offseason, and my franchise guy is still rolling along, I'm thinking about dealing the rookie for a draft pick before I completely drain him from non-use.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-19-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote