View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #217
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Follow-up 2027

Coach Victory is amazingly gracious after the embarrassing loss. Some NCSU administrators wondered if the hoops chief might blow his stack or have a melt down (and of course some fans think Victory choked big time), but the coach is cool, calm and collected. Maybe it’s because he had so long for the fact to sink in that his latest team wouldn’t go 41-0. The game was out of reach pretty early in the second half...

“A lot has been made of the N.C. State basketball program this year, and we’ve definitely basked in that,” Victory said. “But in my book, Illinois is the real dynasty in college basketball right now. They’ve been to the NCT tournament every year since coach Harris Rowell took over for Bill Self in 2003. They’ve been to the Sweet Sixteen 20 times and the Elite Eight nine times. Now they have two NCT titles in the past seven years.

“My hats off to the Illini. They are the model program right now – one that we are still several steps behind.”

Of course, Victory does have the Wolfpack nipping at the Illini’s heels. In the past three years, the Pack has finished 29-11 (NCT 1), 36-3 (NCT 1) and now 40-1 (NCT 2).

A few other closing notes to 2026-27:
• Auburn beats Cal and Lasalle beats Oregon in the ACT semifinals. Lasalle then romps over Auburn 82-64 for the title.

• PF Deon Brown gets selected 10th in the NBA draft by New Jersey. Jalen Hemphill, the ACC Player of the Year, goes 37th to Memphis.

• Despite the loss, Victory’s stock has risen. He gets job offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Georgia, Memphis, Ohio State, Clemson and Northwestern. And, believe it or not, the Crimson Tide is letting Charles Barkley go as head coach. ‘Bama’s AD calls Victory about coming back to Tuscaloosa!

“No thanks,” the coach says. “I’ve got things pretty good here in Raleigh…” The Sheriff is being mentioned as a possible candidate despite the fact that his teams haven’t done that well at GMU… Stay tuned...

**Author’s note: For the heck of it I resimmed the NCT championship game (saving the results from the “real” game in a separate file for when I start my next season). I made one slider tweak on State’s defense (moving it one click) and the Wolfpack won 96-60… Dang it!!!!!!! I resimmed twice more, and Illinois won both of those games by double figures (using the settings from the first game and the settings from the second game). Two more resims were split: one win for State and one win for Illinois… finicky game… oh well… on to the next season...
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote