View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #237
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL - Summer 2028

Phone conversation, Sunday night...

Steve, man, throw me a bone. What are you thinking? I can’t figure you out. Are you leaving State? You realize this affects me, too. I wouldn’t mind being in Wolfpack red again — just at the head of the bench...

Patience, little brother. You’ll find out in due time. Thursday, to be exact.

You’re retiring aren’t you?

Actually, I’m not sure yet what I’m doing. Are you recording this?

What are you talking about?!? But you’ve scheduled a press conference and everything.

I did that to give myself a deadline. You know, I don’t want to drag things out, kind of like the Roy Williams sagas of years ago. I knew if I created such a stir, I’d have to decide.

So, do you know which way you’re leaning at all? I mean the press conference is only a few days away.

Well, when I first set the press conference, I fully intended to retire. It was the perfect time. I just completed my 25th year. We had won two NCT titles and contended for two others. Great players are returning for the next coach. My twins, Stevie and Stephanie, will be freshman players at Charleston and San Diego State. I bought an RV, and the Mrs. and I were going to travel around the country watching our kids hoop it up. I could walk away satisfied.

Then what happened?

The Final Four, that’s what. You remember me, watching the Texas-Illinois game. I coached from the luxury box the whole time. I realized then that coaching is in my blood. We had a family pow-wow, and the kids gave me their blessing to keep going. They’re a lot like me. They’re independent. They like having me around but want their space from me at the same time. “It would be weird to see you in an RV, buying tickets like everyone else,” Stevie told me. “You belong on the bench. Just not my team’s bench.” You got to love the kid.

So, you’re coming back to State then?

Well, here is where things get interesting. I thought that, too. I’ll just sign a contract for life and coach in Raleigh until I fall dead out of my Wolfpack red chair. But then I started getting all these other offers. “We can offer you a fresh start.” “We can offer you a chance to build.” And then it hit me. I’m a builder. I love building programs. And I thought to myself, “Wonder if I could build one more program into an NCT champ?” And I let myself linger over the offers, and things went from there...

So, you’re definitely leaving State then?

I’m not 100 percent leaving, but most likely will go. The Wolfpack program is in great shape. Grandma could come in and coach these boys into the Elite Eight. Even you could.

Ouch.

Just kidding, little bro. You’re a great coach. I do personally think it’s impossible to build a dynasty at Alabama... Something’s in the water there that prevents teams from sustaining greatness...

So where are you going? And I disagree on the Alabama thing by the way...

Well, I’m not sure yet. I’ve got three serious offers on the table. I think I blew my chance with Texas Tech, however, based on some comments some folks around here made about Lubbock. Even though it wasn’t me, word got back to Tech officials that I was a stuck up Easterner, and they’ve shied away. But they’re still in the running for me...

Can you at least give me the top three?

Thursday morning, I’ll give you the winner. Who knows, it may be State and I may lock up a long term deal to stay here. The head honchos from the NCSU athletic department are coming tonight to Charleston to talk... Of course the Mrs. and I might rethink retirement as well... You can see how my last week has been. Every option looks great, then another looks better, then yet another one looks even better. Why don’t you tell me where to go...

I’ll bet you’re off to Notre Dame... That school fits your personality... Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me to see you at North Carolina next year — though State fans would shoot you dead if you did. You always did like to pretend you were Dean Smith when we formed hoops teams in the neighborhood...

Yeah, and you always liked to be Roscoe Peeco Train when we played Dukes of Hazzard.

Shut up...
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote