View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #146
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Say Hello to the:

Albuquerque Timber Dogs

What happens sometimes is teams get poor random choices assigned to them. So I am going to choose a new mascot, more appropriate to the Albuquerque environment.

We have narrowed the list to the possibilities:

Vipers
Dust Devils
Chubasco
Thunderbirds (currently the name of the Albuquerque Dleague NBA team)
Mustangs
Scorpions
Rail Runners (You’d have to know NM in order to get that one)
Cottonwoods
Prairie Dog
Pronghorns

There are several evocative New Mexico and Albuquerque names here.

Thunderbirds is considered too close to Phoenix, and is removed from contention. The Mustangs are too similar to the Broncos and Colts.

The Cottonwoods is too meh. It is removed.

I removed Dust Devils. Sun Devils are next door at ASU. Pronghorns don’t strike enough fear into people.

That leaves:

Vipers - I like snakes as mascots, they aren’t done enough. It doesn’t scream Albuquerque, however.
Chubasco - Which, in case you didn’t know, is a violent storm that rages in the area.
Scorpions - See Vipers. Perhaps a bit too deserty.
Prairie Dog - Can be found in the Sandia Mountains right next door to Albuquerque.
Rail Runners - The name of the public rail transit system, but I like it.

Chubasco, although good, may be a bit too region specific. It is pulled. Scorpions are too deserty.

That leaves Rail Runners, Prairie Dogs or Vipers.

I think all are suitable.

No schools have these mascot names, so we are good to go from that perspective. All that is left is to choose one.

This is not the time for Vipers. Both Prairie Dogs and Rail Runners are good local names, unused, and good for mascots. Prairie Dog would be the more traditional one, along the lines of numerous other animal mascots in the NFL.

Which one will it be? Rail Runner or Prairie Dog?

Rail Runner.

We are in the AFC East, fighting the Jets, Patriots, and so forth. That was a silly location.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote