View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #303
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Swim with Dad @ GaTech 6/15-6/16

Brett

50 Fly - 47.64 - been working on this stroke, but he's still in the form focus stage, not the racing stage...so I didn't expect him to break his seed time, or his actual personal best of 46.96, and he didn't. He did look much better. Very solid stroke, with feet together and good body position with high hips and shoulders low even when breathing. Now he needs to get comfortable with it so he can reproduce the stroke without thinking about it and then race it...49.27

200 IM - 3:26.92 - only the second time he's raced this to my memory, and because of that and the improvement that usu, and the fact his strokes are getting better, I expected a big improvement over the last time. The fly was slow, but actually better than the 50 from earlier in the morning by almost a full second. The back was solid...but when he got to the wall Brett was 5th at the turn and going into the Breat the leader was a third of the pool ahead. However, Brett was moving on this stroke and it became obvious pretty quickly into the 3rd leg that he might have a chance to catch the leader before the Breast ended...and amazingly he did...he was first to the wall after the Breast. He even held off the previous leader for most of the freestyle but finally lost with about 15 meters to go...HUGE improvement 3:15.14

50 Free - 38.68 - After the great 200 IM, I was hopeful for a good improvement here...and he pulled it off...36.54

400 Free - 6:23.58 - second time swimming, and going to practice 8 times in 6 days, I felt he'd hold up better and improve a bunch...but I didn't expect an improvement of 30 seconds...5:55.32

50 Breast - 43.49 - Start of day 2, with the 100 fly looming at the end of the day. Brett was very uptight about that, and it showed in this race. He was stiff and sluggish...he finished with a poor time of 44.51

100 Free - 1:18.39 - see Bear's write up...Brett improved slightly too - 1:18.20

50 Back - 47.45 - been swimming this better so I expected an improvement...he executed here as well 45.91

100 Fly - NT - the dreaded event. Brett was still very uptight about this one, but he managed to get all the way through without breaking stroke, swollowing water, hanging on the wall, or slipping into a breaststroke. Finished and that was the goal 1:53.08

Last edited by Breeze : 06-19-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote