View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Happy to have some folks reading along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I hope it works for you and brings you relief.

An interesting thing here is that I am already feeling great relief from just the work in physical therapy (and the weight loss, and the gym). I appear to have had a huge success over the last two weeks. One of the meds I have been on for 2+ years was rejected by insurance on its last refill. My urologist prescribed a different med in the same class, but I decided to just not take it for a little while to see what happened. In the last couple years, I've not been without this med for more than 48 hours without signifcant and overwhelming bladder pain and urinary urgency that simply does not go away. We're up to 2 weeks now and while I am not 100% symptom free, I have had no need to try out the replacement prescription. Huge, huge progress.

A month ago when I signed up for this Mindfulness course, things were very different in my mind. It seemed like improvement would be coming, but how long it would be before I could survive without one of my meds was a complete unknown, and a mindset to attack everything made sense. To me, it still does, even if this course might prove to not be 100% necessary to reach the specific goals that led me to physical therapy. But I'm not done with physical therapy yet, there are still things that need to continue to get better, my outlook is just a ton better now than it was a few weeks ago, for a lot of reasons.

There's also the matter of my second physical therapist, working on a problem where the root cause is a foot injury I picked up when i was trying to run to get into shape about 18 months ago that has never fully healed. I think we're making progress there, though right now its less obvious to me, and shockingly to me at least, a lot of what is being done for my foot overlaps with what's being done for pelvic floor... general muscle tightness from the years of inactivity, especially in my hips and back, that seems to be one of the bigger culprits behind two very different problems.

Basically the tl;dr here is that my pain issues, and my perception of them, have changed a fair amount since i signed up for this, being able to manage what pain I do have is still a major goal here, but with what feels like a "major breakthrough" in physical therapy very recently, talk of anxiety and obsessive thoughts and being able to just reign in a brain that just won't stop going sometimes seems like its going to be taking over as the dominant focus here, assuming things continue in the same direction for me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote