View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #194
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

SCAT Meet @ GA Tech 1/19 - 1/20

This is a prelim/finals meet for all the sub 100 yard events. So it is possible that the kids will swim dual sessions on both Saturday and Sunday.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Brett

100 Breast - Personal Best - 1:26.58 : State Cut - 1:22.99
It is pretty obvious Brett isn't going to get the state cut in this event. Too much time to drop in too short a period of time. However, He comes into this event seeded 11th, and the top 10 will make the A finals, and the boy in 10th has a .24 second faster seed time. and the boys in 9th and 8th are both around .75 faster coming in, so making the A final is a resonable goal. In Brett's last 4 races (only counting the prelims not the finals at the Gaineville meet) he's gone from a 1:31.88 to 1:28.60 to 1:26.92 to 1:26.58...so he's improved a bunch in the this event this season.

50 Free - Personal Best - 34.38
Continuing to improve with is freestyle as his kick slowly improves. He's not going to get anywhere near the top 20 to even make the B final, but he could improve on his time again.

500 Free - NT
This will be a first for Brett, as he swims a true distance event. I will be surprised if he doesn't do reasonably well here. My bet is he goes very conservative with is effort (his history says he will) to make sure he'll have the energy needed to finish, but because he's never been good at kicking in freestyle his arms and shoulders are strong and typically in practice during long sets he tends to stay with the better swimmers. He won't place in the top 10 or anything, but it will be interesting to see where his time stacks up with Bears.

50 Backstroke - Personal Best - 41.48
Brett is seeded 15th in this event, and if you had told me he'd be anywhere close to that coming into this season I'd have told you that you were crazy. He legitimately should make the B final,he has no shot at A and it would take a terrible swim or some really great times by those behind him for him to get shut out of the B final.

200 Breaststroke - Personal Best - 3:17.53
The personal best listed above is a very old time. Brett swim a 3:03.xx but was DQed in his most recent meet. I'd expect he should get the 3:03 time again, which could get him to 11th overall...
--------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey

200 Free - Personal Best - 2:44.23 : Sectional Cut - 2:29.09
Just getting back into swimming Freestyle, Bailey has done a nice job of getting going again. She is seeded 9th here, and could easily get into the top 7 with a good swim. Top 5 is probably out of the question as she'd need about a 10 second drop to get there. Sectional cut is also out of the question, and honestly, this one isn't really reasonable to expect she'd be able to get there before then end of February.

100 IM - Personal Best - 1:22.96 : Sectional Cut - 1:19.29
Bailey is seeded 9th here, and based on how they seed the events she should get a good lane for prelims with a couple of girls that are swimming in the 1:19 range, and she should also qualify for the A finals which will be a fast heat. If Bailey races this hard (which she usually does), she could get pulled to that Sectional Cut time. My bet though is she'll end up around a 1:20.5 time.

100 Back - Personal Best - 1:26.02 : Sectional Cut 1:18.29
Bailey's back is improving, but she still needs to get a better feel for the underwater stroke. Body position has improved greatly. I expect an improvement here, but I don't think she can swim the 1:22.xx that it will take to make the A final, so she'll probably be in the B final.

500 Free - NT
Like Brett this is a first time effort. Bailey doesn't do as well as the boys in the longer distance swims. She is more of a kicker than the boys and he tires out before the end of the race. I do think she could make the top 5 in this event, and she should get the state cut time of 7:20.99

200 IM - Personal Best - 2:54.77 : Sectional Cut 2:48.19
Bailey is seeded 4th overall here, and she's only raced this event 1 time. I'm hoping she has a better feel for what this race requires and she'll be able to just a bit harder. She could get a top 3 finish, and honestly I believe this Sectional Cut is within reach. 6 seconds seems like a bunch of time, and I don't expect her to get it, but it is doable.

100 Fly - NT : Sectional Cut 1:21.59
Bailey swam a 1:26.9x in the meet last month, but was DQed for stopping. I'm not sure how fast she'll actually be able to go if she doesn't stop, but I expect it will be in the top 10 and make the A final, as the 10th place person right now has a seed time of 1:32.59. My guess is she's looking at a 1:24.xx.

100 Breast - Personal Best 1:34.77 : Sectional Cut 1:28.89
Seeded 7th coming in, but she's still working on narrowing her kick to reduce drag. Given all the events she has in front of this one, I expect the form flaw and fatigue will cause her to not improve here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Bear

200 Free - Personal Best - 2:35.48 : Sectional Cut - 2:25.59
Bear continues to improve in his freestyle events, especially the longer ones as he pushes himself through the pain to go harder and faster. I don't thik he can get to the Sectional Cut, but he's seeded 6th and I could see him getting a top 5 (2 of the kids in front of him turn 11 and age up after this meet).

100 IM - Personal Best 1:23.80 : Sectional Cut - 1:18.09
This is one event that Bear has not been as pleased with the results. While he's dropped time from a 1:27.xx earlier in the season, he sees where he's done better than that in the Summer and he wants to post better times in year round races. He worked in a private lesson on 1/13 on all of his strokes and also on his back to breast turn. The turn work could help a bunch. He comes in seeded 10th, and will have a hard time holding onto that spot in the top 10 unless he posts a strong swim, because the 11th and 12th swimmers are only .1 behind.

50 Fly - Personal Best 39.66 : Sectional Cut - 34.89
During the private lesson on Sunday the coach noted that Bear is "pulling himself to the surface" coming off of walls and at the start, which is causing his timing to be off as the water slows down the arm recovery. This ends up making his timing wrong for the entire race. This is worse in fly, and the coach feels if she can get this ironed out it could make a huged difference in his times. We'll see...

100 Back - Personal Best 1:22.00 : Sectional Cut - 1:18.09
Bear's personal best here comes from the meet last month, and in that race he had 1 terrible turn and 2 others that were mediocre at best. If he cleans those up, he'll improve by a couple of seconds. He seeded 9th, and a time of 1:20 might get him in the top 5, which is a good goal here.

200 IM - Personal Best 2:52.71 : Sectional Cut - 2:47.69
As good as Bear did here when he swam it in Chattanooga, I think he can do even better. He's getting stronger with all of his strokes and he pushes hard on the longer swims. He's seeded 4th, and might be able to get into the top 3...of course he could finish outside of the top 5 as well. Unfortunately, I don't think he can get to a 2:47.6 to get the sectional cut, but he wants one
bad, maybe he really drives through on this one because he feels it is in striking distance.

50 Back - Personal Best 38.64 : Sectional Cut - 36.69
Bear really should in my opinion be doing better here. He's had some bad starts recently, and poor turns turn that are killing him. I really think if he puts it all together he could challenge the Sectional Cut.

100 Breast - Personal Best 1:38.34 : Sectional Cut - 1:28.99
Seeded 10th in this one, and he's been really working hard on dropping the hands deeper in the water during the pull phase to get a better grab and more momentum with his upper body. Unfortunately, that also has thrown his timing off a bit. We'll see if he can get it all put together this weekend. He's seeded 10th. If he can make the A final, he will be doing really well.

100 Free - Personal Best 1:11.90 : Sectional Cut - 1:07.69
Seeded 9th, and could get all the way up to challenge for 5th with a good swim, but with fatigue from the weekend might also end up out of the top 10 and the A final
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote