View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #130
muns
Pro Starter

Well Folks this is it. We have finally made it to the top 10. I actually feel really really good about this list. Some parts sucked doing and has taken a long time, and im sure I have a few people ranked too high or too low, but I don’t think its anything that’s off by 1 or max 2. But that’s what the discussion is for right??? I hope this has been as fun as a read for you as its been writing for me. Im hoping I can do the top 10 justice and have some bigger FOOL fun!!

10. gstelmack-

When you think about gstelmack you immediately think about Boston, or at least I do. We have had so many owners come in move teams around/switch teams that it’s a rarity in FOOL that someone comes in with a Franchise and sticks with them throughout their career. Greg’s time in FOOL has been affectionately compared to today’s version of Chicago Cubs Franchise. For many many years Greg had solid teams, but like the poor Cubbies things just never really worked out.

That all changed in the in the 2010 season, when the guy that “stuck it out the most” got his Settlers a FOOL Title. That historic season will forever immortalize gstelmack with the Boston faithful fan base and enshrine him in hearts all over.

Greg’s highlight years were from 1999-2010 when he went to the playoffs 8 times including a stretch of 4 in a row, and came home a champ once. Overall his record was 3066 and 3154 for a winning % of .493 which ranks him 19th all time.

Gstelmack doesn’t really have any threads that stand out above the rest like most of the other guys ive listed above. He however basically responded to every question thrown out on issues, posted trade blocks every year, and did a write up when he had the time to do so. Consistently is the word id use for Gstelmack and we got that for a long long time.

Greg moved onto FOOL X as his distaste for OOTP 9 grew as some of the bugs we still have seemed to have been squashed in OOTP X. Like Commo, I want to thank Greg for all his work around FOOL, and say congrats for making the top 10.

Please read post 174 of this thread that describes Boston a little bit more
1976 Off-season Thread (Opening Day File is up!) - Page 4 - Front Office Football Central

9. allpro10050-

I’m sure this pick right here might have some people wondering what the heck im doing, but at # 9 this is where I have the all time GM landing. All Pro has been around for a long long time in FOOL. He managed what is today the Chico Franchise from (1964-1975) and the Ann Arbor Winged Ligerines Franchise from 1981-1988, 2001-2005,2011-up through today. He went 3691 and 3927 for a win percentage that ranks him 21st all time in the history of FOOL at.485%.

He has 6 first place finishes to his name and has made the playoffs 10 times. He is also one of 9 FOOLERS who have won 3 or more FOOL rings in their careers. Allpro’s glory years were from 2013-2024. During that span his teams made the playoffs 8 times including 5 in a row (2013-2017) and won 2 FOOL Classics.

Sounds pretty damn impressive huh? Well it is. He didn’t land at 9 because of anything he didn’t do. I can’t find a flaw with allpro at all. I would like him to post more, but everybody has their own personality and he is who he is. He lands at 9 simply because we have a group of guys and gals who have just won a tad bit more and that’s why we are doing this list. I want again thank Allpro for being apart of FOOL, and congratulate him as well for landing in the top 10.

I wish him continued success in FOOL, and am looking forward to seeing Ann Arbor back on top of the pile here shortly.

Allpro explaining how he came up with all his team names
2015 Playoff Thread - Front Office Football Central

Allpro telling me to suck it Post 88
1984 Season Thread - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central

8. BZ-

When you actually sit down and look at BZ’s body of work its hard not to want to rate him even higher than the spot I placed him in. He is 1579-1501 for a win % of .513. That mark puts him 12th all time.

Then you take a look at his 6 first place finishes and 9 playoff appearances and realize that’s also some pretty impressive stats. Next up you look and see that he has 3 Rings to his credit and like Allpro above, is one of only 9 FOOLERS that can say that. Impressed yet? Maybe??

Well what got me really impressed is when I actually sat down and looked at his seasons in general a nifty pattern developed. In 2018 Bz made his first appearance in the Classic and unfortunately lost, but just 3 short years later he was back for more. From 2021-27 Bz made 5 Classic appearances, including 3 in a row (2021-2023) winning 2 of those. Hammersmith and Ann Arbor spoiled BZ’s bids for 7 classics in a row. Then in 2030 BZ did it again winning his final ring and ending a decade of flat out Contential League Owning.

In FOOLS long history we have had teams of a few decades. In the 1960’s it was the St. Louis Terriers, in the 1970’s it was the Valdosta Peanuts in the 1980’s it was the Hartford Harpooners and in the 2020’s it was the New York Heroes. If you can lay claim to a team of a decade like only 4 managers can, your damn good in my book and BZ is right there. Now if we can just get Brian to post more often and talk some smack!!!!

For real though it’s been a heck of a ride for BZ and I hope he continues to add to not only his successes but to FOOL in general. Time will tell if BZ keeps climbing up this ladder.

7. Montreal_GM.

It’s rare when you get a new guy in any league let alone FOOL that just jumps right in and “fits”. Kevin has been amazing since taking over the Montreal Franchise right at the restart of FOOL in 2011. He brings his lunch pail to FOOL everyday and frequently adds thoughts opinions and chatter on the FOOL boards that makes FOOL that much better a place to visit.

But my friends it’s not just about Kev hanging out that puts him in my top 10. Kevin knows how to play, and that knowledge has translated into wins (a lot of them) in the toughest side of FOOL that the league has ever seen. The CL has won 15 titles in 23 seasons of “restart ball” and Kevin has three of them. You have to ask the question, if Kevin was on the other side would have have more wins and titles than he already does?? My simple short answer would be yep……

Kevin has 2625 wins and 2397 losses for a win % of 523. That puts him 10th all time and .1% of a point away from being number 9. He has finished in first place 5 times and made the playoffs 11 times in his 23 year career in FOOL including 8 times in a row from 2015-2022.. And Ohhh by the way in case those stats aren’t good enough for you, since the restart no GM has had more wins during the regular season.

I’m glad Kevin is around and he certainly has added another flavor/ great GM to our league. The only other question I have is this. If Kevin would have been around FOOL since the beginning where would he have ended up on this countdown? I mean he is already 7th right now, and honestly is one title or a few more playoffs appearances away from jumping up more than a few spots. Think about it, he is only going to continue to climb.

An awesome thread that Kevin made that I think needs to come back in some form
Boom or Bust: 2011 - Front Office Football Central

6. Tasan-

While Tasan wasn’t one of the original owners in FOOL, I consider him one of its Grandfathers and one of the guys that would step up any at point if needed. I can’t picture a FOOL without him and because of that I hold him in the highest regard possible.

While it can be debated that either BZ or Montreal GM could be placed ahead of him on this countdown in terms of wins and titles, I however wanted to point out a fact that hardly ever gets any mention in the FOOL history books. I would be doing a HUGE disservice to Tasan if I didn’t “go here” and I think it needs to be brought back up.

While Hartford had its run in the 1980’S, Tasan had an “I hate Hartford Campaign” going along side their run (which was hilarious btw) which can be found here

1980 Offseason Thread - Page 4 - Front Office Football Central

The 1980 Regular Season Thread - Page 3 - Front Office Football Central

The 1980 Regular Season Thread - Page 3 - Front Office Football Central

New York-Hartford 1981 - Front Office Football Central

1981 FOOL Classic: Toronto Osprey (91-63) vs Hartford Harpooners (106-48) - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central

1982 FOOL Offseason Thread! - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central

1982 Season Thread - Page 4 - Front Office Football Central

But Tasan was also in the middle of a great rebuild job. In 1985 his plans and hard work finally came to fruition as he made the playoffs that year and the following year. Then in 1987 all the hard work finally paid off as the FOOL Classic and Title came back home to Colorado. It seemed like it was the beginning of something special right????? Unfortunately it was not meant to be and it was decided that 1988-2000 would be computer run so that we could restart FOOL.

Was it fair?? Hell no it wasnt…. He sat through one of FOOL’S teams of a decade waiting patiently for his turn and then when it was upon the league, it was taken away from him. Tasan didn’t complain once, he didn’t moan, he didn’t threaten to quit, he was simply put….. "Tasan", one of the Grandfathers of FOOL.

I’m sure he was crushed, but he didn’t voice his displeasure, he sucked it up and let FOOL restart. In those next years that the computer simmed, his Colorado Franchise went to the playoffs 9 straight years and won the FOOL Classic twice. If you don’t think he could have turned that into more FOOL titles your crazy and he sure would have a hell of a lot more wins. FOOL owes you a lot Tasan even though it doesn’t get brought up nearly enough. but honestly thanks for bending over for us

Back to the present, Tasan has 4009 wins, 3648 losses and a win % of .524. That puts him 9th all time in FOOL history. So he isn’t ranked 6th because of what could have been. He has 9 first place finishes which is 5th all time, and 16 playoff appearances which is tied for 4th all time. His knock??? He only has 2 titles, but we already covered that now haven’t we.

Tasan has also been a guy that has been extremely active on the boards and has just about participated in any FOOL changing event over the years including serving on its BOD. Thanks for all you have done Tasan, FOOL wouldn’t have been the same without your handprints all over the league.
Some final posts from Tasan that I wanted to point out.

How the Colorado Logo came to be
Colorado Stadium renovation - Front Office Football Central

The Colorado Ring of Fame
The Colorado Rancheros Deck of Fame - Front Office Football Central

Well we have finally made it to the top 5 now. It’s been a long hard fun road trying to evaluate where I wanted everyone to fall, but these 5 can be considered the back bone of FOOL and without a doubt have won the most and are extremely active on the boards.

5. TeachEnEspanol-

One FOOLER just described her the other day as the most likeable and nicest person in FOOL. I think that is a very accurate statement, and I cant think of one way in which Teach might have ever done something as questionable or crazy on the boards here.

That aside for a moment, Teach maybe a controversial pick here at 5. Why you say??? Well Teach has an interesting approach in FOOL, and one if I may so myself hasn’t ever been brought up/talked about before. Teach and I have never spoken about how she builds her team but with some observations she is the only one that really does it the way she does it. Alan has his way, I copied some of Alans stuff and put my own thang on it, Chief has a system, Eric is a beast… (that list can go on) but my point was that we all have the way we like do it.

But honestly how many people in FOOL can say they have 7 championships? I count a total of THREE and she is one of them. Teach is tied for the second most titles in FOOL history with a whopping 7.

Here is another stat that should just blow your mind.
Did you know that Teach is the ONLY FOOLER that can claim that she has won back to back titles 2 separate times???

In another long line of neat stats going her way is that she has made the playoffs 11 times and when she does it’s a damn safe bet the Title is heading to Napa. She ranks first all time in FOOL winning the title 63% when she is in the playoffs.

So how does she do it? I for one am not going to rain on her parade and start giving hints, if you really want to see, take a good hard look at her teams (when she isn’t in rebuild mode like now) and you’ll be able to tell for yourself. I will say that she figured out that playoff baseball and regular season baseball are 2 totally different animals and her rosters always have the edge in the playoffs because of it.

Her knock??? Her style of ball however as I mentioned isn’t flashy in the regular season. Of all the teams with a title she ranks last in win % with .471 and ranks 31st all time in FOOL history. In the grand scheme of things though Titles is what counts in my book, and id much rather be partying it up after a FOOL Classic “W” than sitting at home saying to myself “well at least I rank in the top 10 of win percentage”.

I will also say that while her team wasn’t rebuilding as strongly as Tasans was, she too also got caught up in the FOOL restart, and her team won 2 rings while on AI control during that time period. You didn’t hear a peep out of her either.

Not only has teach been the “nicest” of all the FOOLERS she too has been around for a long long time, and has been involved in many of our “issues” I think She also needs a “big thank you” for not only being there to help move FOOL to what is has become but for also sticking it out during what can only be described sometimes as a bunch of little boys fighting over who’s toy truck is bigger. So thanks Teach!!!!!

Below are some posts I gathered that show some of Teaches “finer” moments in FOOL

Her draft thread that actually turned into a nice discussion that lead to a neat study
Draft - Front Office Football Central

How Napa Valley came to be in FOOL
New Location for Texas - Front Office Football Central

Her cheerfulness
Update - Front Office Football Central

This post just made me laugh
Help a Brother Out? - Front Office Football Central

Teach being Teach
2013 Trade Block - Front Office Football Central

4. Ekcut-

Again one of my favorite GM’S in FOOL history has to be Eric. Not only does the man know how to win some ball, but he does it in a fashion that’s fun. He isn’t a boaster that is going to tell you how many FOOL titles he has, or how amazing his team is. Nor is he a guy that is going to show up and just be silent because his team may be loosing or is in a rebuild job. Either way Eric goes about it the “right way” and adds his own spice to any FOOL convo.

I have had a blast watching him come into the league not let anyone push him around during trade talks and then just rip shit up in whatever division he is in. Could he be ranked higher on the list??? Just like everything else around here that is debatable, but he sure as hell isn’t going to be ranked lower.

His stats are just amazing and if we were just doing this on pure stats, he surely could be ranked higher. He is 3995 and 3929 for a win percentage of 504% which ranks him 15th all time. He also has 11 first place finishes on his resume with 18 total playoff appearances. He is tied for 3rd place all time in FOOL history for first place finishes and is 3rd place all time in FOOL history with playoff appearances.

All stellar numbers if your asking me and I haven’t even touched the Titles yet. Eric has 6 rings over his FOOL career and ranks 4th on that list. He is also one of only four GM’s to claim that they have 5 or more titles, and one of only 3 that can say they have 5 or more titles and won over 50% of their games.

A few more things that I have to mention here about Eric’s stats (just to be fair to him). Eric started in fool in 1967 and lasted until 1988. He left FOOL, in 1989 and then came back half way in 2001-2005. He was here but really wasn’t playing like his normal self, missing exports and such. During that time frame he went 309-501 with a win % of 381. That basically destroys what he could have in terms of winning percentage, but he was listed as the manager and as such the record stands, but like I said to be fair I did have to mention that.

Since 2020 though I don’t think there has been a team more consistent than Edmonton. Eric always has them playing in top form and check this out. Since 2020 (That’s 14 seasons) Edmonton has made the playoffs 11 times, with 3 titles. That is unheard of and such a fantastic feat to do in the BEASTLY CL. Remember my argument with the number 7 guy on this list Montreal GM????

Where Eric would be finishing over in the RL???? More wins that’s for sure, more titles though??? Good question but my answer leans heavily on the yes side.

I’m going to leave you with some of Eric’s posts that I thought were relevant. Not only has he been fantastic game wise, but he has always been around the boards doing his thing as well. FOOL is better off for having him back, and I for one and happy to have him around.

Eric and his sense of humor at the beginning of his FOOL career
Hartford/Baltimore Trade (1971) - Front Office Football Central

Eric suggesting that we change the SB rate which was a good topic to discuss

Let's put the soon to be elected officials to work. - Front Office Football Central

Eric being Eric lol Post #215
1975 Offseason thread - Page 5 - Front Office Football Central

Eric on OF George Baker and our Hall of Fame
FOOL Hall of Fame unveils logo, announces plans - Front Office Football Central

Baltimore’s Nickname and Stadium changes
Baltimore Submiting Nickname change and a new stadium - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by muns : 08-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote