View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
SecretAgentMan
n00b

Year 0, Chapter 1- Taking Stock
"Greenland is Ice, but Iceland is Nice"
-D2: The Mighty Ducks

I sighed, and looked back at the report on my desk. Ada Thorsdottir had just dropped it off. Ada was the head of the IAC (Icelandic Athletic Committee) and had hired me for the new job. I had been able to read through the report quickly, because it was nowhere near as thick as it should have been. Unfortunately, it was also far bleaker than I would have liked. I glanced at it again.

Iceland 2022 Winter Games Summary
Code:
Alpine Skiing ------------------------------------------------------------------ Viktor Armannsson 25th place Men's Downhill 29th place Men's Super G Alexanderson Armannson 44th place Men's Combined Viktor Olvirsson 63rd place Men's Giant Slalom 52nd place Men's Slalom Julia Leifsdottir 21st place Women's Giant Slalom 64th place Women's Slalom 28th place Women's Super G 46th place Women's Downhill Julia Thorirsdottir 63rd place Women's Combined Biathlon ------------------------------------------------------------------ Emma Vilhjalmsdottir 73rd place Women's 15 km individual Gunnar Thorirsson 90th place Men's 20 km individual Viktoria Stefansdottir 75th place Women's sprint Dagur Stefansson 101st place Men's sprint Cross-Country Skiing ------------------------------------------------------------------ Daniel Stefansson 88th place Men's skiathlon 97th place Men's 15km Classic 81st place Men's 50km Mass Start Freestyle Sigurdur Olvirsson 71st place Men's Sprint Freestyle Emilia Stefansdottir 54th place Women's Skiathlon 71st place Women's Sprint Freestyle 79th place Women's 10 km Classic 47th place Women's 30km Mass Start Freestyle Emilia Stefansdottir/Julia Sigurdsdottir 24th place Women's Team Sprint Classic Nordic Combined ------------------------------------------------------------------ Daniel Olvirsson 89th place Nordic Combined Normal Hill 90th place Nordic Combined Large Hill

Iceland had only gotten 13 athletes to the games, and that was....let's say "generous" at that. All but one of the spots had been qualified via open access rules that let ANY country enroll their athletes if they wanted to. (And that one qualified spot, the Women's Cross Country Team Sprint, had resulted in a dead-last finish)

There had been 25 events where an Icelandic athlete had competed, and we had had no more than 1 athlete/team in any event. Of the 25 events, we had managed only 5 results in the Top 30 for the entire games. Nothing in the Top 20. Certainly nowhere close to a medal or even a Top-10.

Not good. There were maybe 2 or 3 athletes here who had any sort of future in their sport at an elite level. If that.

Viktor Armannson, a speed skier, has some hope. He at least finished in the top 30 in both of his events. Julia Leifsdottir, a balanced alpine skier, also got 2 Top 30s, though she also skied far below those places in her other two events. Beyond that...I don't see anything. Right now, we're going to have only a handful of athletes in the High-Performance Winter Sports Program. I'm going to have to scout our youth ranks hard to figure out where to even put our limited resources, honestly, because I'm not sure where all of the potential is. It's not there right now, at the very least.

I pressed a buzzer at the intercom on my desk. "Katja, could you come in for a moment?" Katja Leifsdottir, my assistant, popped into the the room a short time later. She was a young woman, with her hair pulled up in a bun.

"Yes, Mr. Dalesson?"

"We've only got a few weeks left in the winter sports season. Can you make notes that I will need detailed reports on a few of our athletes when they attend world cup events?"

"Certainly, sir. Who do you need reports on?"

"Well, I need to see how Viktor Armannsson and Julia Leifsdottir do on the Alpine Skiing World Cup, so I will want reports on them. I'd also like to see how Emilia Stefansdottir does on the Cross-Country Skiing world cup."

"3 athletes. Got it! Anybody else?"

I shook my head. "Not at the moment, no. We're going to be checking the youth development ranks over the summer, but nothing else for now."

She exited the room with a smile, and I turned and looked out the window. I had to hope that there was something in those youth ranks, because right now, I wasn't sure how I was going to perform a (sorry) "Miracle on Ice".

-END Chapter 1-

Would you like to help improve Iceland's fortunes? Don't forget that you can! With any comments you make on this post, you get Dynasty Points that you can spend at a later date to increase Iceland's budget. I plan to have the next update out in a week!

Last edited by SecretAgentMan : 02-27-2022 at 11:39 AM.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote