View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 06:23 AM   #185
Edward64
Head Coach

I have T-mobile. Just one data point but it did seem that T-mobile was doing a good job with spam but past year or two, there's been more slipping through.

I just ignore (and block) the calls if I don't recognize them as I figure any legit ones will leave a message. For text message, I just block them. Also, Gmail does a decent job in sending stuff to the spam folder automatically but still not perfect.

FCC orders phone companies to block scam text messages | Ars Technica
Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission today finalized rules requiring mobile carriers to block robotext messages that are likely to be illegal. The FCC described the rules as the agency's "first regulations specifically targeting the increasing problem of scam text messages sent to consumers."

Carriers will be required to block text messages that come from "invalid, unallocated, or unused numbers." Carriers must also block texts from "numbers that the subscriber to the number has self-identified as never sending text messages, and numbers that government agencies and other well-known entities identify as not used for texting," the FCC said.
I think this is related to selling my contact info to 3rd parties when I use them for a legit site but then get an uptick in spam later.

Quote:
The FCC said it's further proposing to close the "lead generator loophole" that "allows companies to use a single consumer consent to deliver robocalls and text messages from multiple—perhaps thousands—of marketers on subjects that may not be what the consumer had in mind."

All in all, a great move. The question is can the carriers execute well. But yeah, I think the solution is the carriers enforcing rules and eliminating spam.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote