View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #750
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
First off, I've highlighted the "they" here. I don't see the NRA acknowledging that at all. The NRA and Secret Service are two entirely separate entities. In fact, the AP article indicates that if they're meeting in an open carry state, then there's open carry at their meetings.

That said, this is clearly apples and oranges. The Secret Service and the NRA are two entirely different entities. The Secret Service--though I'm sure it's composed of fine people who care about everyone in general--is not making decisions based on "the safest solution {overall}" or to "make people safer." They make decisions to make the one or two people they're protecting in a given venue safer. It's a completely different argument. (Well, and of course the gun ban doesn't apply to the Secret Service, so if someone wants to try to make that argument, the truth is that the Secret Service's position actually ia"good guys having guns makes the President safer. We just define 'good guys' a lot more narrowly than the NRA does.")

There have been several articles with headlines, like this one, that try to make it sound like the NRA banned guns at their meeting. That's simply false. There are solid arguments to be made about expanding background checks, eliminating some particularly dangerous accessories, etc., but this is not one of the them. This is just a dumb and counter-productive red herring.

I disagree

This is an NRA event where guns are typically allowed. The secret service says no guns for the safety of the Vice President so no guns. Do you think if any other guest speaker had security with a similar requirement that the NRA would allow them to speak? By allowing anyone to speak under those conditions, secret service or not, the NRA sends mixes messages on whether or not less guns means more safety.

Part of the blow back on this has also been because some of their own members were questioning it and others were pushing for increased background checks to enter in exchange for being allowed to carry. A hypocritical stance by NRA members.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote