View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #146
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Captain Alan, I hope that you play a little more nicely with the crew at large this time than you did in that unfortunate draft experience. I would hate to see yet another captain exit by way of mutiny in a spawn game

The way I feel about this crew is that it is just way too large for me to micromanage. Like I said before, I am hoping the doctors and others with various abilities to do so will be able to help me feel comfortable about the other officers. As long as I can feel comfortable that the officers remain uninfected, I think it is important to delegate out various pieces of duty.

It seems like the crew breaks down into groups fairly easily, so likely many pieces will take coordination between various people in order for us to achieve our goals.. Some of the breakdowns seem to go as:

First Officer - Responsible for our missions and the overall success. We will need away teams to mine as well as possibly exploration.
I think key members that will be assisting the First officer with alot of these goals will be the Ensign who will likely be leading an away team at times, the Scientist as they help give a bonus to away teams, and Privates as we can use the additional help on away teams.

Second Officer - Kind of like our ship's HR. Unfortunately death will happen on this ship but the various jobs and functions are still needed. This officer will have to use their best judgement on trusted individuals to place into new key positions. The Trainer also will be helping with this task as well.

Security Chief- Obviously the SC is key to our survival. Probably the most important area of the ship to repair at the start is the security HQ, and likewise having a Sec Chief that we can trust is the best way to hold the spawn at bay. Galley Master, Warden, Seargent-at-Arms, Security Crewmen all will be helping in various ways with that. The Slavemaster is also under the security chief, but I seemed to remember him being more useful on away missions with his slaves in the previous game. Someone refresh my memory if I am wrong on that.

Chief Engineer - pretty self explanatory. We need the ship repaired or we lose our mission. The Engineers will likely want to coordinate some how with the Chief as there are bonuses for working together.

Captain - I might have the easiest job, but also the riskiest to allow a spawn to get into. I think that I (and all of us to some extent) should give some leeway for the other officers and crew members to perform their functions at their best discretion, so I don't plan on being too heavy handed. I think it is important that the crew have their ability to make their own decisions as that also might be helpful in figuring out who might already be infected as well. I will primarily be leaning on the Doctors to help us fight off the spawn infections and the Medic to help heal up those that may get injured.

I'm mainly going over various functions now as it probably is the only time in the game that everyone will be able to fully trust me. (Even though past games show that even isn't enough at times) Plus I am hoping it helps the newer players get zeroed in to what to look for in their various functions. I think as the game goes on longer, there will be alot more interplay between the various functions with suggestions, ideas and discussions to what would be the best for the crew.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote