View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #18025
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Nonsense. Here we have the last vestige of those without a good argument; presumption of motives and assassination of the same. I said the stonewalling of Garland was horribly wrong at the time, and I also said during the campaign that I wouldn't support Trump or Clinton for anything as important as dogcatcher. I stand by that assessment. We didn't have a campaign between a good candidate and a bad one; we had a campaign between two totally unacceptable ones. On that point I agree with the majority of America, the difference is in what I decided to do about it.

And what you decided to do about it was vote third party when we had one candidate clearly demonstrating through the entirety of the fucking campaign that he gave not one single solitary good goddamn about "defending our institutions" and then moaned and whined about it afterward.

You can say what you want about Hillary Clinton, but the reality was, she was never going to be in a position to have both houses of Congress falling over themselves to normalize whatever outrageous bullshit she might have tried to pull as President.

Donald Trump was never, in 2016, going to lose the House, and he ended up keeping the Senate, also.

Your third party vote was a direct revelation of just how much of a flaming bag of dog shit you gave about "defending our institutions."

"Yeah, he's mocking reporters and assaulting the integrity of judges on the basis of their skin color and bragging about sexual assault without consequences, but, I mean, Hillary Clinton. Just as bad. I dunno. Vote third party!"

Quote:
This isn't an either/or situation.

It really is.

Quote:
Both bear responsibility for how they have acted, and how they act now. I don't in any way absolve the GOP senate for ignoring Trump's misdeeds.

You gave them that absolution at the ballot box in 2016. You and every other "but her emails" turdblossom who ignored Donald Trump showing you exactly who he was and was going to continue to be voting for a third party because...what? Did you think Clinton was a shoo-in to win and you could safely cast a 'make myself feel superior to everybody else' protest vote? Did you just not give a single shit about what Trump would do with the power of the Presidency?

Quote:
As a Constitutional matter though, the House most definitely has a duty - and not just the Democrats in it but the Republicans as well. As a matter of process, the pressure will never be on the Senate to the degree it needs to be until they are required to go on the record that what Trump has done isn't impeachable, and they can't do that unless the House impeaches.

And the pressure STILL won't be on them after the House engages in their masturbatory political exercise you so desperately want them to, because McConnell has already indicated that he'll dispose of any impeachment trial as quickly and quietly as possible. The Senate map tilts toward Republican country in 2020, and Texas, Mississippi, et al are going to be sympathetic to the idea that any impeachment, no matter how deserved, is purely a political temper tantrum on the Democrats' part, and Republicans won't pay a political price for voting to acquit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote