View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #58
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 10
New York Giants 3-5 @ Atlanta 5-3
We come into this game again heavily favored. Most people around the league do not think that the Giants have the defense to slow down our effective running attack, and while we have a poor defense, the Giants are tied for last in scoring in the league.

Leland was held to just 79 yards on 25 carries and he did not score, but he also broke his string of consecutive games with a fumble. As a team we did what needed to be done and pulled off a win in a rather boring game, 17-7. Once again, we gave up a late 39 yard TD pass that caused us to not beat the spread. There are rumors about flying around about gambling, but so far my investigations have failed to uncover any evidence of wrong doing. (Of course I am not looking too hard, after all, I don't know if I would like what I find).

Now for the really bad news. While we did win this game, we were struck a serious blow. Four players were seriously injured in the game, and I don't expect to get any of them back for the rest of the regular season. Among the injured are my two leading tacklers. This will be a serious blow to an already struggling defense.

Week 11
Jonesboro 3-6 @ Carolina 6-3
It seems like every week we are the favorites. Today we are given 12 points, but I am not convinced that we should be favored by that much. This will be our first meeting with last year's QB, Clay Gearhart. He has struggled somewhat this year, but I think that he would like the opportunity to prove to everyone that we made a big mistake in trading him away.

The Saints should be a much better team than they are. They have all the pieces to have a great passing game, but for some reason they like to try to stick to the ground, and it has not served them well. Hopefully we will be able to continue that trend.

Leland Nixon earned his paycheck today. He had a league record 50 carries for 207 yards and scored a touchdown both rushing and receiving.

The game went all our way for almost the whole time. We had a comfortable 24-10 lead with 2:00 left in the game when, once again, we gave up a long TD pass to cut our lead to less than the 12 points that the odds makers had given us. However, this time the Saints recovered the onside kick. They marched down the field and tied the game with 10 seconds left. But even after losing our comfortable lead, we refused to give up. In the extra quarter the Saints got the ball at the 19 and quickly moved it into field goal range. Rather than kick the 40 yard field goal on first down the Saints elected to try to get the ball even closer, but my second string DT knocked the ball loose while making a tackle. We recovered it and had new life.

With the exception of one 12 yard pass, Nixon did all of the work moving the ball down to the two yard line in 10 plays. Everyone expected Nixon would get the 3rd down carry to finish the drive, so with everyone keying on him we gave it to our FB for the winning TD.

For his effort, Leland was named the game's MVP.

Another starter on defense was hurt, and may miss the rest of the year. Our QB also suffered a sprained knee and is questionable. The injuries are piling up. Nine starters are injured, most of them seriously. It may be difficult to keep winning if the situation gets any worse.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote