View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #61
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 16
Atlanta (10-4) @ Indianapolis (4-10)
No one has given up more points this year than has the Colts. They are equally bad at covering both the run and the pass. There should be no reason why we don't run all over them and win this game by at least two TDs. Anything less than 150 yards rushing for Leland will be a disappointment.

As I predicted we were able to keep our heads in the game and finish strong against a poor substitute for an NFL team. The Colts scored on their first drive of the game, but they couldn't do anything after that. Our defense shut down everything that they attempted to do. Meanwhile, we were basically able to move the ball at will. Nixon finished the game with 167 yards and two TDs in the game as we coast to victory.

Now for the bad news, QB Glenn is out, and will likely miss the rest of the season. There is some hope that he will be able to return for the Super Bowl. We also lose our starting center. His backup is quite good though, so we should be able to weather his loss, but while I have had high hopes for QB Fisk, they have not panned out to this point. I don't trust him to be the starting QB as we head into the playoffs.

Week 17
Atlanta 11-4 vs. Jonesboro Saints 5-10
As we come into the final week of the season, we know that this final week is crucial to our hopes of returning to the Super Bowl. We know that we are going to be in the playoffs, but we have not yet locked up the division title. Is we don't win this game, and if Tampa wins theirs it will come down to a tiebreaker as to who gets the division title. Also, if we win then we are guaranteed to have the first round bye thanks to our earlier victory against Philly.

As you may recall, in our earlier showdown with the Saints, we barely escaped from Arizona with a win in OT. This time we have the home field advantage, so things should go better for us. Leland is looking to have another monster game against Jonesboro, as last time he exceeded 200 yards. He needs just 119 yards to become just the second player in history to eclipse 2000 yards rushing in a single season.

Perhaps I spoke too soon about Fisk. He played a solid game, completing 16 of 23 passes for 171 yards 3 TDs and no Ints. But the star of today's show was none other than our own Leland Nixon. He had 34 carries for 204 yards and a TD earning himself MVP honors. Our defense really struggled again. We gave up 30 points by the end of the third quarter. Early in the fourth Nixon scored his TD from 5 yards out to give us a 31-30 lead. From there, our defense suddenly awakened and we held them scoreless the rest of the way. We take the win, the division and a first round bye.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote