View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #67
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 3
Philadelphia (1-1) @ Atlanta (1-1)
For our home opener we will have a again face the team that ended our season last year. But this is far from the same team that beat us last season. They have completely fallen apart in the off season. Faced with a difficult cap situation they were forced to make tough cuts and were unable to do anything in the free agent market. Only 23 of the current players were part of the team that beat us last year, and 25 of the Eagles are rookies. The reality is that Philadelphia has, in one season, become one of the worst teams in the league. We should win this one easily.

Our defense really seems to struggle in the fourth quarter. We gave up 18 points in the final frame. It wasn't enough to out do what Nixon and our offence was able to accomplish though. Nixon had 182 of the team's 256 yards rushing in the game, and he also had 2 TDs. We took control of the game right from the start and, even with the fourth quarter swoon, it was never in doubt. We win the game 33-25. I should also point out that with his two TDs, Leland surpassed 10 year veteran Keith Poole the #2 spot in career rushing TDs among active players. In his fifth season, he has now scored 62 career TDs.

Week 4
Seattle (0-3) @ Atlanta (2-1)
It has been 10 years since Seattle had a winning season. It looks like that is not about to change anytime soon. The Seahawks have a fair defense, perhaps slightly below average. But they also have the worst starting QB in the NFL, as well as one of the worst RBs in the league. They should not be much of a challenge for us.

Well it counts as a win, but it was not as easy as it should have been. Seattle was able to slow down Leland and that was able to keep them in the game. He was able to run for 125 yards, but it took 38 carries to do so. Leland was also held out of the end zone, including once when he fumbled at the two yard line on first and goal.

It took a 28 yard pass in the final minute for us to tie the score and send the game into OT. We won the toss and won the game on an 11 play 77 yard drive to kick the winning field goal.

1/4 season review
We are now a fourth of the way through the year and, while things got off to a slow start for us we are playing solid ball now. There is no question that I am still struggling with my defensive backs, but by and large I am happy with the way we have been playing.

Leland Nixon is well on pace for all of his goals, with a league high in both rushing yards (584) and TDs (4). He has also been averaging a solid 4.45 yards per carry. In fumbles it is looking like it will shape up to be another standard 10+ year for Nixon. He already has 3.

The team is in solid shape, though our division is shaping up to be one of the best in the league. We are in second place to Tampa at the moment, and tied with Carolina.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote