View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #96
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 11
BYE

We have a few starters that are out, so we are looking forward to the week of rest and recuperation. The rest does us well and we now have just two starters whose injuries are significant enough for them to miss next week's game.

Week 12
New England 10-0 @ Atlanta 9-1
Today we square off against the league's all time greatest QB. Before I came over to Atlanta, this is the guy who led my LA dynasty. He is the all time leader in passing yards, and he has 99 more TD passes than anyone else ever has. Most people thought that his years of greatness were behind him when he signed on to start for the Patriots this year, but he is looking as good as he ever has. Just one INT compared to 17 TD passes (along with a 65.5 completion %) has given him a 105.9 QB rating, second best in the league.

New England is a well rounded team that will not be easy to top. They have a great RB, solid WRs, very good linemen, and a spectacular defense. Put all of this together and what do you get. The best record in the NFL. Due to injuries, they do have some weaknesses on their offensive line, so I am hopeful that Nixon will be able to take advantage of their weakness.

Nixon didn't just take advantage of the weakness of the line, he exposed them for the frauds that they were. Leland went wild with 38 carries for 203 yards and a TD earning himself another MVP award. Our defense also really stepped up today holding one of the top scoring teams in the league to just 3 points, and picking off a pass, which has only been done by one other Patriot opponent this season. We triumph, 24-3. With that win, we are the first team to win our division

The bad news is that another starter on our line goes out. He should not be out long, but no length of time is good for us in this most critical of positions. Because of this we are forced to go out and sign a new LT. ED Gunn was just released from the Rams, and the biggest knock on him is that he gives up way too many sacks. That is OK with me, I just need a run blocker.

Week 13
Arizona 4-7 @ Atlanta 10-1
We are heavy favorites as the Cardinals come into town. But we need to be careful to not allow ourselves to get down after such an emotional win last week.

Our offence came out today and they just looked dead. I am not sure what hit them, but we just didn't seem ready to play this week. Leland did not gain 100 yards and he only averaged 3.2 yards per carry. He also had just his 3rd game this season without a TD. Our RBs were fumbling the ball left and right It was a good thing for us that our defense showed up today pumped and ready to shut down Arizona's offence. We held the cardinals out of the end zone, and of the 4 field goals that they did kick, only one was on a drive of longer than 20 yards. The crowning moment was when, midway through the fourth we shut them down after a fumble on our own 3 yard line. We gave up 3, but it could have been much worse. We escaped with a 17-12 win.

We lose another starter on the line for the next 3 weeks. This guy started the season as the #2 LG, but was pressed into the starting role when injuries struck. We now will have to go with our #3 guy, and that does not bode well for us and Leland.

3/4 season review
With 12 games under our belt, I am stunned at how well we are doing. I see little likelihood that we will not attain most of our preseason goals. As a reminder, those goals were:

To win 13 games and the division
To reach the NFC title game
To have Leland Nixon set a new single season rushing record (2146 yards)
To have Leland Nixon score 17 TDs
To have Leland Nixon average 4.3 yards per carry

With 11 wins already, we need just two more to reach 13. The NFC title game will not be easy as there are 3 NFC teams at 11-1 now. Only two will make it. Nixon should be able to break the single season rushing record. He just needs 370 yards, and the way that he has been running he might be able to break it in two games. He also just needs two more TDs to reach 17 for the year. If he gets three in the final 3 games then he will break his own NFL record.

The only goal that I think we may not reach is to have Leland average 4.3 yards per carry. He is at 4.19 at the moment, and it would take quite a showing over the next four weeks to bump that figure .11 yards. I don't know that he is up to it.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote