View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Lots of different threads, this seems the best. Looks like we've finally hit the tipping point and the number of folks subscribing to pay TV AND the number of folks watching TV in general has started to decline as a total, even as the population / households keep going up. It used to be that the increase in subscribers wasn't keeping up with population growth, but now the subscriber / watcher base is starting to truly decline.

Cord Cutters And The Death Of TV - Business Insider

Here's a note worth, well, noting.

The definition of "TV Household" also changed for 2014. In short, it basically added TV-via-broadband-only homes (i.e. AT&T uVerse & the like) which did not previously count. That's the increase you see in Q1 2013 on the table of TV Households. Meanwhile the decrease from the previous couple of years was influenced by the Census revising population estimates downward (vs the estimates available at the time the HH Universe was set the previous year).

Quite a few "carefully selected" charts in this "article" to be honest. My favorite was the one that showed the declining share of the "broadcast networks" ... by carefully omitting FOX and only showing the old Big 3. Duh.

While the picture is definitely far from rosy for television in general, when reading this particular piece it's probably wise to keep in mind what agenda the source has: BusinessInsider is increasingly believed to be on the block as the owner -- permanently banned from securities trading as part of a fraud settlement -- looks to cash in. The spin on this piece is as much about maximizing the value of his asset as it is about an accurate look at the media marketplace.