Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #29
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
There's a big difference in the size of the stick being used here though. We're not talking about PED's for one player, or a spitball that a pitcher throws. We're talking about something that has a much, much, much more substantial effect on the outcome of the game than these other things. It's quite literally, a game changer.

How is Gaylord Perry doctoring balls not a game changer? I mean, I suppose he never won a pennant. But I'm sure it impacted games. Why cheat if it's not intended to help you win?

Don't get me wrong, I agree to a degree that cheating occurs on a spectrum (although I appreciate other people who view it as black and white). But are we saying that we are okay with small scale cheating and it's only when it's organized and on a larger scale that we become upset?

I'm not saying the managers (and players) shouldn't be suspended. You cheat and get caught, you pay the price. Many people speed but only those that get caught get a ticket. It's more the public outrage that I take issue with, as if somehow the sanctity of the game has been tarnished. There is no sanctity to tarnish, people!

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 01-16-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote