Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #635
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I don't think my numbers are that far off. The $14 billion number comes from Sporttrac. And to correct your post, my theory is based on a $1 million flat salary across the board, so many minimum salary players would be getting raises. Now multiply $1 million times 98 players (53 NFL, 15 NBA and 30 MLB) and 92 teams. That gives you a total of $1.8 billion. Thus your $12 billion excess.

And I appreciate that doesn't factor in costs like agents. BUT, if you moved to a flat salary with incremental service raises (ie. like nurses, teachers, etc.) then you really have no need for agents. So players pocket that money themselves.

It also doesn't factor in taxes. I don't even know why that would be a consideration. We all have salary figures and we all pay taxes on those salaries.

The overall net effect of this would mean that superstar players that play for ten plus years are taking home $10+ million. That's a pretty good income for the rest of one's life and they should be able to supplement it with whatever and live very comfortably. Furthermore, those fringe players would actually come out ahead financially as well. An NFL player that currently only plays two years makes a little over a million. Under my scenario, they would now be making $2 million. Not necessarily set for life, but very well off and actually better off than they presently are.

It's never going to happen, so why spend a lot of time on it? Pressure the wealthy to contribute more. Raise taxes. Stop spending public money on private business. Those things can be accomplished in small degrees. Your proposal really reads more as a way to punish players for raising social issues than anything else.

But if you want to set a wage cap for every industry, at least it would be more fair.