Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #636
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'm with you on the sports stadiums thing, they shouldn't be using public money.

But as for the players... let's begrudge them making a few billion while the total net worth of all the owners is probably in the hundreds of billions of dollars?

What about the ridiculous Trump tax cuts that took over a trillion dollars out of the government? Wouldn't that be a much better source of funding, to reinstate those taxes? Why do we have to fund this change from their salaries, just because you think they're overpaid?

Oh, I completely agree with you. These owners, CEOs, and the like, make far too much money. But in this instance, it's the players "taking a stance." And as I noted, the money should come from their pocket and owner revenue. So not just the players.

And further to JPhillips previous message... LeBron James makes around $90 million per season on salary and sponsorships. I would hope guys like himself have the ability to spare a little for charity (not to mention the tax breaks). And it's not just him (and in fact he probably gives more than many) because it's the same thing with celebrities...they say they care and they do give a bit, but it's peanuts in contrast to their net worth and annual income. Does anyone really need a 15,000 square foot mansion that costs $15 million or could they get by with something in the 4,000-5,000 square foot range?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote