Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #646
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You mean like a military flyover that's a paid ad for the military? Or singing the national anthem every game because decades ago, during World War II, MLB wanted to tap into the patriotic fervor of the country to boost popularity?

SI

But don't a lot of people not like those things? Are they hypocrites too? They don't want those politics in that particular forum.

The point of all of these expressed politics and protests is to push a message to a audience who isn't there for that message, to broaden the reach of the message. That just good politicking and protesting. It's a part of free society. You can be annoyed or not but they have every right to do it.

I do kind of wonder about the growing idea that it's wrong to try to avoid it, or to not participate, or express annoyance of it. That choosing to say, "I don't want politics in this particular forum" is itself a type of privilege, because being able to choose whether or not to care about this stuff is a choice for some, and not all. And that's true. I saw this debate break on a light, niche, entertainment-based facebook group I'm on, where the posts were becoming mostly political. Some didn't like it, some said it was wrong to not like it, some said calling it "politics" was offensive, and both moderators ended up quitting.

But I'm positive that the privilege police also take breaks sometimes. They shut off Facebook. They go away for the weekend. They read a book. They choose to not utilize Facebook, or not utilize it to express politics. This is all becoming a battling ground. I've seen posts about how people are noticing their friends' silence and how will impact their relationships forever. I think they mean sharing of Facebook memes, when of course, that just isn't everyone's chosen battleground to help change the world in a positive way. I deal in criminal justice and political issues all day, I admit I prefer friends' dog and family and vacation photos on Facebook, and scroll past most of the politics. I would never admit that to anyone I know though. New social rules are being written right now, and different people are developing different lines and boundaries. Which I'm sure is part of the point.

Last edited by molson : 08-28-2020 at 09:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote