Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #649
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I guess that was kindof my point. When someone says "keep your politics out of my sports", it's never the national anthem or the military except as a rebuttal to someone talking about kneeling or "stick to dribbling" or whatever. I mean, you can probably find someone stringently arguing for it somewhere because the world and the internet are a big place. But it's definitely not anywhere close to a mainstream view, whereas "get your political boycott/kneeling/activism talk" is very prevalent. Then again, you cover that in your next point.

Don't really disagree with any of this and I don't know where it's going either.

One of my wife's favorite Onion articles (after this one, of course, as she's an editor) is: "Woman Takes Short Half-Hour Break From Being Feminist To Enjoy TV Show".

But I think there's a lot of daylight between not being 100% committed to an activism cause every moment of every day, passively accepting what has always been, and actively reinforcing the problematic environment. I think a good argument can be made that David Duke is worse than the guy who tells racist jokes at work is worse than the guy who buys in a mostly white suburb is worse than the guy who is active for "only" 10 hours a week in social organizations that make a positive impact in the community. There's some measure in hypocrisy about all of those situations but if the world were made up of just the last person, the world would be a lot better place.

It sounds a lot like "perfect being the enemy of very good" as an excuse to keep "bad"

SI

One of the hardest things once you really get into a particular cause and spend a lot of time on it, is finding the line where your mental health won't be negatively compromised.

That's true of Facebook involvement too. Everybody just can't do it to the same way, or do it at all and still be taking care of themselves adequately. Some people thrive in that forum, and for others its destructive.

At the same time, if you care about something enough to get involved, it doesn't feel right to turn something down, or put it aside for a bit, just because it'd be "easier" that way. So there's a sweet spot - you want to feel busy and tired and like you're helping and making a difference, but then also not cross that line that will damage you and impact your ability to help further.

And THEN when you throw in others' judgments or perceived judgments about whether you're helping enough in the right way in the right forums, or whether your're avoiding certain forums or political expressions for mental health reasons and whether that's OK, then, I want to take a nap.

Last edited by molson : 08-28-2020 at 10:29 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote