View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
We're only good vs good teams when we're counterattacking. We've only been good when we're counterattacking for 25 years. So why do we keep trying to play out of the back like we're Barcelona or an elite club side?

I will also admit that while I'm happy to take the growing pains, this is what happens when you put like 7 young & inexperienced players together (or just shitty ones in Morales & Trapp's case). Even the ones I think can be part of the 22 cycle like McKennie, Steffen & Dest had massive gaffes.

Yes... insane overreactions online. For years, USMNT fans have said they want to do something other than bunker and counter. And Berhalter, in a friendly, decides let's play out of the back with our young core and see what happens. Remember in the Gold Cup Final (a game that meant something), the team did not play this way.

The team did really well in places (especially the first 20-25 minutes). They won't be playing Mexico like this in Qualifying. But... against some of the other teams in CONCACAF, it may be worthwile to know how to play with some possession.

Also, I'm not sure how Steffen, who's come up under Berhalter, was that bad playing Berhalter's system even with Mexico's swarming press.