View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
The kid has played 3 matches in the Eredivisie so far, 1 from start to finish. Even for the usually overhyped Ajax youth academy products, where every kid playing a full game in the Eredivisie get's the "good enough for Oranje?" talk by the (Amsterdam-centric) media, it's a bit early to get that overexcited for a fullback. Apparently he's never been called up for any Oranje youth team before, which is weird for an Ajax-product. But the story to get called up by Team USA was reason enough for a mini-article in Voetbal International, I think the most read soccer magazine.

Still, smart to get him into the Team USA this quickly. Perhaps they've taken notes from what Morocco's been doing (which is politically a much more sensitive country that the USA is to poach kids born and raised in the Netherlands to play for their grandparents' homeland, something most Dutchmen should actually understand, given how loyal they usually are in supporting their own silly commercially motivated soccer clubs). Or lessons learned by Team USA from other kids with double passports active in other countries.
For all the talk, especially under Klinsmann, of going after dual nationals I don't think we've actually aggressively cap tied young players. Bringing Julian Green to the 2014 World Cup is the one example I can think of, but we've "lost" multiple other potential players who at least stated they would've been open to a USMNT call-up if it happened earlier. I think Dest is getting it because other than Yedlin we haven't had an international quality (natural) outside back since who, Steve Cherundolo? I want Tyler Adams in the middle next to Weston McKennie in 2 years, not playing fullback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yes... insane overreactions online. For years, USMNT fans have said they want to do something other than bunker and counter. And Berhalter, in a friendly, decides let's play out of the back with our young core and see what happens. Remember in the Gold Cup Final (a game that meant something), the team did not play this way.

The team did really well in places (especially the first 20-25 minutes). They won't be playing Mexico like this in Qualifying. But... against some of the other teams in CONCACAF, it may be worthwile to know how to play with some possession.

Also, I'm not sure how Steffen, who's come up under Berhalter, was that bad playing Berhalter's system even with Mexico's swarming press.
I hate when people say bunker and counter. We didn't bunker in '02/'06/'10, but we did counter and play to our strengths. Klinsmann bunkered in '14 for all his pretty talk.

I'm sure the overreactions would've been less if this ended 1-0 or 2-1 instead of that last 20 minute abortion, but there's trying to play better soccer & build a system, and banging a square peg into a round hole. When we're playing Mexico and we're athletically superior (or at least equal), technically worse, and they're playing very high pressure you have to play long balls. There's other middling problems like Gyasi Zardes being better as a winger than a target forward, but when we looked good Friday or in the Gold Cup final it was when we played longer balls and gave players space or 1v1 matchups up the field. There's lots of really good club/national teams out there who play that way in certain matchups because it gives them the best chance to win, idk why so many people are obsessed with playing one way (and not saying you are, just ranting here )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote