Thread: 2014 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #429
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I actually like most of DiPoto's moves this offseason. Like bhlloy, I was not excited to see Bourjos moved for Freese, although I disagree with him that Bourjos was key to getting a great pitcher somehow. I just didn't like the value on that trade.

I also did not like that we dealt Grichuk in the Trumbo deal, as the last thing we need is to deal away one of our few decent prospects. That said, I feel the Trumbo deal will end up being massive overall positive, since Trumbo was a one trick pony with issues elsewhere (plate discipline, foot speed, defense, etc.), and you have to like turning a guy like that into two-fifths of your rotation.

I actually am not sure DiPoto gets the axe before Scioscia any more. I feel like this offseason was a win for the DiPoto model. There are sabermetric/data analysis guys on staff now, and more coaches. Arte didn't force DiPoto to make any big splashy contract moves like he had in past years. There weren't too many obvious "Scioscia" moves this offseason. We still have our first round pick.

I said last April that Scioscia needed a good start this season or I would be 100% behind firing him. I still stand by that. If this team continues to play poorly to start again, even with a spring training emphasis on getting off to a good start, I fully believe Scioscia needs to go. For a team, with this payroll, four years without a playoff visit is unacceptable.

FWIW, as bad as the offense has been, there shouldn't be many worries there. In the end, this team will hit. It did last year (5th or 6th in AL in runs scored, I believe) and that was with Pujols out most of the year and Hamilton in a year long slump. This team's success will come down to the pitching again.

A guy who was a 5 WAR player in his only full time season and a top 5 defensive CF (and still under team control) could have at least got a couple of valuable bullpen pieces, if not the bottom three starter this team desperately needs. To get Freese and a terrible reliever plus giving up one of the few remaining prospects in the org worth a shit was an abysmal trade, and I have zero faith in DiPoto after that I'm afraid, even if many of the precious mistakes came from the previous regime or from the owner
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote