View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
lungs
Pro Rookie

Today's Lesson From the Farm (Antibiotics and Pasteurization)

Periodically, I post situations I encounter on the farm. Most don't necessarily have any consumer implications but yesterday I had a perfect example that perhaps consumers can understand better why I do what I do.

Two issues that have come up with frequency in the dairy/consumer industry are antibiotic usage and pasteurized vs. raw milk. Let me first say I support the right of the consumer to consume raw milk but the risks should also be made clear and this case will illustrate that:

This here cow was in a world of hurt yesterday. She was running into walls and generally acting like I do after I've had a few too many rum and cokes. The employee that reported this to me even said he didn't know what her problem was but she was "borracho" (drunk in Spanish). Within ten seconds of looking at her, I made the diagnosis of listeriosis. It's a bacterial infection that attacks the brain and central nervous system. Left untreated, it would get progressively worse and eventually kill the cow. I've only seen it one time in six years of handling cattle, but that one time was enough to know it when I see it.

Diagnosis made, I went to my medicine cabinet and made a special concoction of the strongest antibiotics I have (oxytetracycline and sulfadimethoxine for the science/medical people). Got my IV kit out and gave her the concotion and sent her drunk, stumbling ass to my hospital barn (yes, I have a special barn for that).

Fast forward to this morning, I wasn't necessarily expecting much. Success rate of treatment is 50%, mostly depending on how early it's found. We must've caught this case early because she was standing and eating this morning. Almost all of her motor function is back. Where would she be without antibiotics? Walking aimlessly in circles until she couldn't walk anymore, followed by a slow, painful death.

The other factor in this case is bacterial shedding in her milk. She was more than likely shedding listeria in her milk before any symptoms occured. If I was selling my milk raw to the consumer, I'd likely have quite a mess on my hands. Pasteurization kills listeria. Hence, I have no worries about that tank of milk that I sent to the plant. Either way, due to the antibiotics administered, her milk won't be sold for human consumption until May 13th. She'll be contributing to the pool of milk I use to feed the baby calves (also pasteurized of course). As for May 14th onward, she'll be back to making milk for some good ole' Swiss cheese.

Last edited by lungs : 04-25-2012 at 10:26 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote