View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
lungs
Pro Rookie

Time to bump this, as I had another case of listeriosis afflict a cow this morning. Wanted to check this thread to see when the last case was.

Young cow, just had her first calf. Her immune system must've been compromised as we also diagnosed her with mastitis yesterday (udder infection). One of my employees informed me this morning that she didn't want to get up. I found her standing up but she didn't know her head from her ass at that point.

In the meantime, I had another cow trying to push an elephant sized calf out of her vagina. Not knowing how long she was trying to calve overnight, I grabbed the chains and helped get the calf out, and luckily it was alive.

That being done, I grabbed my strong, broad spectrum antibiotic and IV'd the sick cow. She was laying sprawled out and tangled up in our stall dividers when I IV'd her. She looked like hell. But within 30 minutes of giving her the IV, she was standing up and had her wits back. Prognosis for recovery is excellent. Of course I go and check on the new mother cow, and that damn elephant calf must've irritated a nerve on it's way out as she's got some paralysis in her leg. Got to give her an anti-inflammatory shot and hope that'll help.

All in a few hours work on the farm......
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote